Neutrik A1 still worth buying in 2024?

Whenever I start looking at old bits of test kit with 'considerable asking prices' (anything over €100), the first question I ask myself is 'When will this thing go 'pop...kerplup....wheeze....die'.

I've been on the lookout for an A2 for a lonnnnng time without so much as a peep from the 2nd-hand market but there's a nice-looking Neutrik A1 relatively close to me appeared for sale.
You rarely/never see them for sale in working condition and I already established with the seller that it has no errors during calibration although the lack of a functioning backlight for the screen is a niggle and adds to the failure-anxiety a bit. Power supplies on these usually go first..followed by the LCD screens giving up (unobtanium). PC connectivity is limited to a dodgy RS232/WinXP interface which is janky at best according to users.

Seller asking €1500 which is steep imo (but what do i know?) and I could probably negotiate that down but it will still be a chunk of change for something that's over 30 years old.

Thoughts?

cdc7933be0e636bf5406060a585c8daa.png

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
If you need it, you need it.

Cannit be replaced by one or more other pieces of gear to do the same tests for the same money?

Well, what it does more than my current gear:
Crosstalk, noise, THD+N

What it does the same as the gear I have:
Frequency measurement , Level measurement, signal generator

Noise (absolute) in µVq, mVq, Vq and dBq and Noise (relative) in *1, % and dBr would be especially useful to have.
So idk if there is anything else standalone that could do noise and THD (and crosstalk would be a nice-to-have) ?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think you’d be better served with a PC based solution. Look up what Wyn Palmer is using.

He is evaluating his new phono preamp design for RIAA accuracy in the mdB scale.

That just seems too easy though. Especially for refurbing 80's gear. Should be period-correct. Or is that being too anal?
fwiw I use oldschool safety razors with a clamshell holder a la Benjamin Braddock.
A (real) Nak T100 would be a good alternative, but again...hen's teef.
:cool:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I get the nostalgia but why limit your resolution to gear especially when trying to improve the old stuff?

We have better made and spec’d components now so why not?

Wyn’s phono pre is the quietest, and most accurate RIAA correction I’ve ever seen at any price.

And he’s building an improved version right now…

Well, I'm already 'cheating' by using a digital scope and waveform generator, but still 90's gear.
NAK-T100 software is the obvious choice ofc. I use Ocenaudio, Audacity etc to look at wafeforms, FR and spectrums but there's something 'genuine' about using oldschool gear when it's your hobby.
I think I got that period-correct sh!t from when I was doing site-surveys at Sellafield and was given a very crusty old-school geiger-counter to use (I now realise for quite spurious reasons). You use detectors and dosimeters measuing milli/micro-sieverts, grays and bequerels these days of course but there was something about the way that thing smelled, handled, operated and sounded that was very appealing. I got lumbered with the on-site nickname of 'Quatermass'. Fkrs.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I get the nostalgia but why limit your resolution to gear especially when trying to improve the old stuff?

We have better made and spec’d components now so why not?

Wyn’s phono pre is the quietest, and most accurate RIAA correction I’ve ever seen at any price.

And he’s building an improved version right now…

And I can vouch for that preamp. If Wyn's using all computer-based measuring solutions, he can keep on as far as my money's concerned.

George S.

I find the old analog test equipment is more fun to use. I really like having modern digital equivalents to ensure the old stuff is still accurate and what I'm seeing is correct.
The added features on the new digital equipment can be overwhelming and I find myself having to consult the PDF manuals often.
Good reason in itself to have a computer on the bench.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Worth me hunting one of these down you two?
What does it do better than the QuantAsylum QA403 @George S. suggested?
What does it do (better?) ... it works.
Finding one in great shape is a major undertaking. If you're into 'hunting' for Gems & good deals, then it's worth it.
If money is no-object, then finding one gently used is possible. The caveat being, that with the current inflationary insanity goin g on - - the pricing has become Uber Stupid.

Last edited:

George S.

Well, Audio Precision is a mature and proven technology.
QuantAsylum is the new kid on block.
Software is in continuous development as bugs are found.
If you like PC based sound card programs like REW or AudioTester, you'll love QuantAsylum.
Absolutely repeatable results from session to session. The software disables all Windows sound settings. It self calibrates and you have the ability to check the calibration with a simple DMM.
I do have the first model released, the QA400, and a newer post- pandemic QA403 which I'll be using to align the PL cassette deck.
Works great as a low frequency spectrum analyzer.
I have a TinySA Ultra for higher frequencies.
https://www.tinysa.org/wiki/

George S.

And, Audio Precision is the standard for professional use.
Lots of hobbyist have graduated from sound cards to QuantAsylum, as have manufacturers looking to automate testing and reduce costs.
Really depends on what you want to spend.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And Phase Linears RIAA curve tracer' slso have Phase's 2000 watt BPI Load cell...from the engineering dept....

Attachments

Last edited: