Nakamichi T100 (not the software)

Got a chance to bag one. Looks like a dog cosmetically so I'm not optimistic it's going to be 100% functional as most that are for sale seem to be.
The ones that have been refurbed/repaired/recapped etc make a big deal about it and charge accordingly.
Asked the seller for info and he's non-responsive so I'm automatically assuming it's a dog.

But maybe not...so what should I look out for? Anyone here got/use one?
Posted on TH and got a limited response. A member there might have one to sell if this one goes south.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
I'm an expert on these...somehow I missed your TH post. Basically, if you can plug it in and see the first bargraph segment lit up, the T100 can be restored. A dead display is not a deal breaker though, two hi voltage caps in the display's little piggy back board are the first ones to fail. TapeHeads has several threads about these, but please, do not do a general recap. Calibrating these is a long process and requires external test equipment most folks do not have.

I'm an expert on these...somehow I missed your TH post. Basically, if you can plug it in and see the first bargraph segment lit up, the T100 can be restored. A dead display is not a deal breaker though, two hi voltage caps in the display's little piggy back board are the first ones to fail. TapeHeads has several threads about these, but please, do not do a general recap. Calibrating these is a long process and requires external test equipment most folks do not have.
Thanks for the tips. How easy and frequently do these go out of spec? Is it safe to assume any given T100 will be out of spec and need calibrating unless stated otherwise?

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Very very stable. The input buffer opamp always fails, and those display caps, but the only other real failure I've seen was a broken lead on the suspended 3kHz oscillator "crystal" mechanical resonator. If the T100 has not been used much, the two range lever switches are tough to clean by spray alone. I had to take both out and burnish all contacts on one unit.