NAK BX-300 Idler .. who's done one? (and .. how did I miss not adding THIS forum??)

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
From Tapheads.
I did mine some years back. Easy 20 minute job.

Quote:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]Originally Posted by stuwee

I just tried to use it 7/23/08, bought yesterday, played, FF & RW, right hub not working now
I have the owners manual, I reread it.
Timer, memory stop and auto repeat all switched off.
No voltage switch on the back.

Something (belt) must have let go?
I registered at NakTalk, pending ...

Any ideas? I'm not handy with tools, I'd just asoon wait a bit and gather info before tearing into it.

Thanks in advance,
Craig
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Craig, I got a mates dead one of these going the other day. This one would play but thats all. This may help you or it may not, but its simple and takes 5 minutes. In your picture you can see the backing plate, the shiney bit you can see through the tape window. Its held with two small screws in the corners at the top of the plate. Undo the screws and the plate basically wiggles out and up. Now you can see the idler tyre assmbley. Clean the reels with some isoprop and also clean the idler tire and the motor shaft. This will give it a better grip on the reels. you can also see a belt that I think is some sort of backpressure tensioner that drives back to the left had side facing deck from front. I don't know but if the idler tire looks knackered and this belt is loose it could be the source of your problems. ESI has new tires for 10 bucks and good clear instructions for changing the tire on their website.
Hope this is some help
Cheers
G
Wow! Blast from the past...Thanks Graham :happy2:, I still remember the day I bought it, July 2008 during our Monsoon season, took the bus way out to the east side of town, it worked for a spell, then quit!

It's now under the Blu-ray player because it doesn't look busy enough under the TV :violent1: HaHa!

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
There is a near invisible plastic type thing which holds the idler on in the BX-1's. Of course a clip is better, the BX-300 being a higher quality deck.

And then...

I realized I had a whole graveyard full of decks, one of which .. a BX-1... Interesting tho.. see how no clip on the idler end?

Well, there's hope for tomorrow now..

View attachment 15164

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I did belts and Idler wheel some years ago I didn't have any problems EZ compared to some of the other decks I F--- up.. I have a C5A that I wish I could get to stop from eating tapes

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I did belts and Idler wheel some years ago I didn't have any problems EZ compared to some of the other decks I F--- up.. I have a C5A that I wish I could get to stop from eating tapes
Nak CR-5A? Is the tape skewing? It could be excessive take up reel torque.