My New Thorens

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I got the itch to upgrade my turntable and went on the hunt. I found this on Audio Asylum and although it is not a TD-124, it is the TD-121. It is suppose to be the little brother of the famous Thorens. It has one speed...33 1/3, but can be changed if you need another speed. It has a Rega re-badged tonearm and an Ortofon 540 MKII installed for now. I am going to send it to Classic Thorens in Nashville to have it evaluated and refurbished. The person I bought it from built the beautiful plinth, which weighs in over 20 lbs.. Behind it you may see my Yaqin MS-12B, which I bought several years ago...it also has been modded with all the suggestions made to enhance performance. I am tickled pink with the table, but I do want to get some things done to it, and probably try to find a better tonearm...maybe an SME 3009 or something.

Attachments

Last edited:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yes, it is an idler drive, and the previous owner had done a ton of work on the table, and built the plinth. It is alternating layers of MDF and real wood. The actual weight of the package was 55 lbs. It is in really good shape for a 54 year old table. I wanted a TD-124, but I didn't have the two grand plus to plop down for one of them. I thought this would be a good compromise table. I am sending it to the experts though, and have them go through it and see what they think should be done to it. It plays fine right now, and I have ordered a new Thakker belt for it. I really don't think I will spend much more on it, as I may sell it and get something different on down the road. I really like the thoughts of an old transcription broadcast turntable...but we will see....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes, it is an idler drive, and the previous owner had done a ton of work on the table, and built the plinth. It is alternating layers of MDF and real wood. The actual weight of the package was 55 lbs. It is in really good shape for a 54 year old table. I wanted a TD-124, but I didn't have the two grand plus to plop down for one of them. I thought this would be a good compromise table. I am sending it to the experts though, and have them go through it and see what they think should be done to it. It plays fine right now, and I have ordered a new Thakker belt for it. I really don't think I will spend much more on it, as I may sell it and get something different on down the road. I really like the thoughts of an old transcription broadcast turntable...but we will see....
A Fairchild like Fairchild has or an old belt drive RekOKut