Micro (Seiki) BL-91L

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Oh, boy... I have always had a respect for Micro Seiki. They just speak to me on artistic, engineering and sonic levels. What could be better? Making my own? Maybe...

And, I think I found the perfect Micro turntable- BL-91L. The "L" version accommodates longer arms than the non-L version. I'm not finding one anywhere (I guess it wasn't too popular). I prefer to run a longer arm, if possible. The Rega arm is quite good for a cheap short arm, so I want to go longer. (I'm not sure how long I can fit on the non-L version)

Tech specs are impressive:

W&F .025% and rumble down -75dB. The entire rotating assembly is (apparently) bathed in oil to damp mechanical vibration. -75 is pretty impressive, so I guess it works. Spindle bearing is like 17mm or something ridiculous like that. Plinth is a massive slab of plywood. Plinth is sprung on it's feet too.

Others that were on my radar are the Technics SP-25, which has better specs on paper (.025% and -78dB) but not night and day. I also like their solid rubber plinth for broadcast use, but it's, well, ugly. The drive looks plastic-fantastic and the plinth looks like it's from a East Berlin laboratory. Generally not a bad thing, but when you put it next to the Micro... well, the decision is clear.

The Rega Planar 3, for comparison, runs at .09% and -70dB, so a significant improvement. I've been running that for a long time and hope to make improvements to both specifications, but I don't think it'll hang with the Micro (or Technics). And W&F of the Micro is on par with "the finest" direct drive (The Micro is belt drive). The SL-1200 Mk. II has the same W&F specs, often touted as the best drive out there.

Best of all? F'n GORGEOUS table. 100VAC only but the internal board runs at 12VAC input so I'll rig up an external transformer box for it. I mean, when stuff you don't even see, unless you have the cover off to change a belt, looks like the case at Tiffany's, you have quality before you.

Now, to find some money...

Anyone else care to comment on this (or other) Micro / Micro Seiki tables?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Probably the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI, they've a lot of amazing cool stuff there.