Marantz SD 3000

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

After work, yesterday, I dropped into my local used record shop to check out what new stock had come in since my last visit. There has been a particular contemporary jazz artist I have been looking for on vinyl and once again I didn't have any luck finding any of her albums. But I did let Kelly, who helps run the store, know what I was looking for in case the artist's albums came available at her store.

Before leaving, I checked out the side room where used audio gear is on display and being sold. Under a few album jackets, was a silver-faced cassette deck. I asked Kelly about the deck and]she replied, " It doesn't work and it's headed to the dump." Even though I could have probably just taken it off her hands for nothing, I offered her $10 and she quickly opened the till and deposited the ten spot. The reason I picked it was because it's a two speed deck. I don't pick up non-working decks, but I thought perhaps it would be an easy repair, like replacing drive belts.

When I got it home, I removed the top cover. The belts were intact, so I powered it up and after a few minutes of warm-up I placed a cassette in the well. At first, there was no movement of the tape while depressing any of the function buttons. After a half hour I was able to get the deck to successfully fast forward a tape from start to finish. It would struggle with rewind and when I hit the Play button the tape would immediately slow to a stop. It's possible it's a matter of replacing the main belt as it does seem to be a bit stretched. I may order a set of belts and download a service manual once I have more free time. If I do get it going, I will update this thread with my findings.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks Lee and Tony. Only the second Marantz deck I have - the other is a Model 5010.

Nando.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Nando, your SD 3000 looks a LOT like my Marantz PMS 3500, which is/was a small boombox. The speakers are long gone, and it needs TLC, but it would make you a good parts unit...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Get ahold of me Laz, I don't have a Marantz boombox to date, speakers or not.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Mark: I think some of the later models of Marantz 2 speed cassette decks spec out better than the one I have - as good as an entry-level open-reel deck.

Laz: There indeed are similarities between your Marantz boom box and my deck, as I looked up the PMS 3500. Nice looking portable.

Nando.

Lance Lawson

New Around These Parts
I had a SD 3020 for a while and it was great. I loved the 2 speed nature of it. I rebelted it and it was perfect. But I opened it up one day to adjust the balance VR's and slipped with the screwdriver and blew the whole thing up. I eventually sold it as a parts deck. I wonder if it ever ran again?