Look What Followed Me Home Mom, Can I keep It??

I agree with Joe, It looks like it is wired as a pentode. Watch the multi-section filter cap when you fire it up, if it hums or gets warm it needs to be replaced.
It should be replaced anyway along with the other two electrolytic's underneath, at the very least.

Yes, That is the about the only thing that goes bad in a tube amp.
Lot more than that can fail on a tube amp. All electrolytic caps in the power supply should be replaced in an amp this old. There are so few parts in that amp I'd just replace them all. Don't forget to have a load on the amp when operating it.

Looks like a single ended 6L6 powered amp with a 6SC7 doing front end duty and the 6x5 is a rectifier.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ok, make sure it's loaded before turning on. How do I determine that, or are all tube amps like that??

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yes, That is the about the only thing that goes bad in a tube amp.
And old caps, diodes, the last owner's vision...probably his B+ as well and either some kid tried an EVH on it or someone just didn't want to deal w/it and chucked it.

Last edited:

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Having to have a load on a tube amp to power it up is kind of an old wive's tale. I've powered up many a tube amp on the bench while working on it without a load. Have people messed up tube amps running them without a load before.......probably, but who knows what actually happened.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That amp got sent to Joe as a gift, I suspect one of these days it will show back up in a thread and we won't recognize it....

orange

Tagline
BMRW75.....OVERLOAD! Please slow your selection of avatars down (or we'll miss one for pete's sake).

orange

Tagline
I still need to make a GIF of the famous quad in the Miami Vice opening.