Like a high damping factor?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I guess in the $50k each region, but could be higher, they're build quality is second to none, Period (.), just awesome beasties, rare over here, mainly from the home market of very well-healed Japanese Hi-Fi nuts.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A pHASE lINEAR 700b HAS A DAMPING FACTOR OF 1000, YEP 3 ZEROS, DON'T KNOW WHY THEY'RE SO HI ON IT IN THE DESCRIPTION.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
OK a question. What is the damping factor and why do you want it high? See I told you I don't go by Specs. I go by my ears. Speakers I'm a little more critical.

Larry

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
OK a question. What is the damping factor and why do you want it high? See I told you I don't go by Specs. I go by my ears. Speakers I'm a little more critical.

Larry
Well... wiki here does a real good job of describing it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor

The key point is with a higher rating, the amp is better able to control the cone movement in relation to the true signal. For my personal experience i.e. with the Polks and their leetle 6.5 inch woofers, that translates into a higher SPL output that I can achieve without the cones going over their excursion limits i.e. bottoming out.

Take the Sansui 3300 I have.. decent power.. but low damping factor. With the same tone settings it will bottom out the woofers in the Polks. But with the Crown I had (305 per channel with a >300 damping factor), the overall signal level was MUCH higher without the cones bottoming out and/or distorting.

That's my take and experience with it... YMMV...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Synergy, or finnese as Larry likes to call it, play a bigger role, but damping factor/slew rate can give you an amazing experience. Jerry hit on the head with his experience with the Polks. And I have in different degrees with the ML's, stat panels pull so many things from the amp in so many different ways. I'd bet the X-amps have a high damping factor. Or at least a very good combination of other factors to mimic that behavour.