JVC DD-5J Cassette Deck

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi,

I picked up this JVC for almost nothing. I really wasn't expecting much but it really does not sound all that bad. I am guessing it must be sort of an entry level deck but it has some different features for a deck in that range. First, it's direct drive which was rather surprising. The digital meters are not all that bad, and I am not a really fan of most digital meters. It also has SA heads and something called super ANRS. Just thought I would share the info being JVC is not mentioned much.

Robert[attachment=0:21hvfbgy]Img_0479_rs.jpg[/attachment:21hvfbgy][attachment=1:21hvfbgy]Img_0476_rs.jpg[/attachment:21hvfbgy]

Attachments

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Interesting they had direct drive on those little guys, I think ANRS is a form of noise reduction like Dolby, or is it used in conjuction with Dolby? You techs and NR heads know the anwser?

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Found a bit more information:

SA = Sendust-Alloy heads.

ANRS = Works automatically at playback, also to work with tapes using another type of noise reduction system. (dolby I am guessing)

Super ANRS = Works typically at frequencies > 1K compressing at record time and expanding during playback. Claimed to lower distortion (bias vs beating of signal). Read some statements that this is suppose to be better than Dolby C.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Looks like a pretty coool JVC deck. I love the Silver face. :thumbright: I have about 8 JVC decks in my stable so it doesn't surprise me when I see some nice looking JVC decks.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Thanks guys,

I guess I finally fell into a deal if this really is one of JVC's better decks. :) I paid a whopping $15.00 for it but it need a bottle of cleaner to clean the goo off the outside. The transport looks new as I pulled the cover off it over the weekend.

Will have to try some recording to see what that sounds like. The playback is still very nice sounding.

I don't have a Yamaha yet to compare with.... I have been eyeing that K1000 on the for sale forum. It looks like a nice deck.

Robert

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have 2 K-1000s. I have a bunch of Yamahas. In my book best bang for the buck. I have 3 in my garage 6 in my sound room and one being worked on. LOL

Larry

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Larry,

Ha, I think you need two more to make it an even dozen...... or three to make it a Baker's dozen!

I have read you positive comments on the Yamahas so have been wanting to get one.

Robert

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
You sure did gat a steal on that JVC (and one in working condition to boot)! I didn't know it was a top line deck till I looked it up, it's got such a clean, uncluttered, low look to it. Nice grab :thumbup: :toothy10: :toothy10:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
rtp_burnsville said:
Larry,

Ha, I think you need two more to make it an even dozen...... or three to make it a Baker's dozen!

I have read you positive comments on the Yamahas so have been wanting to get one.

Robert
Well I did get one I'm kinda proud of that wasn't made for the states. I don't think I have K-2000 yet. Can't remember what all I have. The only one I paid over 60.00 for is the one from the UK.

Larry