Just hooked up my Adcom XC LT cartridge...what is going on...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The Adcom Cross Coil Line Trace cartridge is the same as the SAE 1000LT HOMC cartridges being offered for a c-note on the bay this week. Thought I would give mine a spin and compare it to the ADC XLM I have on my lightweight tonearm.

Was going to be comparing the
TD-126/∞Black Widow/ADC XLM to

KD-500/Magnepan Unitrac I/XC LT.

Got both hooked up and working then find an album I have two copies of and line it up so I hit start on the Kenwood to listen and compare.

Did this 5 times and for some reason a channel keeps checking out. Don't know where, yet. I can find it and play either TT, one in to the phono input one through a phono amp to a line input. Both tables are showing the issue.

The hell with it for today. I'm on to other things. Maybe it is the selector switch in the preamp. More investigation is needed and I'm not doing that today.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I'll get to it. I've got a pile of cartridges, arms and tables.

Only comment so far was from the gig a week ago. The 126/BW/ADC and 500/Unitrac/MC30 Super and only comment was the MC30 was a cleaner sounding cartridge. Not much more than that. I was hosting so not sitting in the spot so don't really rely on what I hear at those events.

After listening to cartridges, I have to adjust the mass of the tonearm with headshell weights to see if there is a difference in the bass by going a bit heavier with the low compliance cartridges. Of course, the ∞BW won't be used with the lower compliance cartridges but adding a few grams to the Magnepan or the SME 3009/S2 Imp might help some of the cartridges. I have a few different 1-4gram headshell weights to try between the cartridge and headshell. I keep reading about better bass and I guess I'm looking for more work than just turning up the low level output from the crossover.