Just a Q

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Funny thing happened last night, I came home from dinner and Dale was listening to the AKG 'phones on the main rig, through the Marantz receiver??? We use it as a pre (pre/out main/in jacks disabled) so I was shocked :eek: that it was working. Looking closer he had them plugged into the dubbing out jack, is there an op amp in the pre section? How does sound come from there?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
There's a separate headphone amp and it will be there with the pre anyway as you separated it from the amp to use as a tuner/pre or power amp.

Am I close?

stuwee

orange said:
There's a separate headphone amp and it will be there with the pre anyway as you separated it from the amp to use as a tuner/pre or power amp.

Am I close?
That's what I'm thinking too. It must be, or it wouldn't make any sound, the volume control, bass/treble/mid and loudness have no affect on the sound, strange? It's like a line level output, Hmmmmm?

orange

Tagline
If it hmmmmmms then you should take the phones off perhaps, bad ground?

stuwee

orange said:
If it hmmmmmms then you should take the phones off perhaps, bad ground?
:lol: I never know if your joking or not Orangester, Hmmmm was like 'thinking' no hum from this homo,

The headphone amp section of any amplifier is just stepped down resistors from the main amp section ( I could be wrong ), so, I'm still curious how sound gets through the dubbing out jack? None of the front controls effect the sound.

orange

Tagline
If it squeals it was just that Mariah Carey Christmas song again.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
If it's like the 2230 I have, then I think you may wanna tell him "don't do that!".

See attached... basically the dubbing out is wired right in parallel with the actual tape out. In the Marantz' of the era, they didn't have anything as far as buffers between the line level (aux, tape in) inputs and tape output, so what you could be hearing is the output of the line level component driving the cans. In the case of the Marantz' phono stage, that is amplified of course - but still it's not really designed to drive low impedance equipment. Was he able to actually control the volume?? I kind of doubt it, but the 2270 may be a lil different...

[attachment=0:1c9jmhse]2230spic.jpg[/attachment:1c9jmhse]

Attachments