Introduction

PLMavenMan

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I just wanted to introduce myself to the Phoenix Community. I have been a long time lurker, but just recently became of forum member. Back in the late 70's I acquired my first Phase Linear product. It was a model 700B. I used it up until the early 90's on a pair of SpeakerLab K's, then put it all in storage when I became a parent. Turns out that loud music and young kids aren't real compatible.

Now I'm an empty nester and am getting back into audio as a hobby. Somewhat on a wim I acquired a couple of PL400 series I amps. Both were non-functional, and one was missing parts. Back in November Northwind provided me with the missing parts (thanks again Northwind). One is an early 4 fin model built in 1973 (according to S/N), and the other is a later 8 fin model which I estimate was built in 1976/77.

I plan to get my 700B out of storage and refurbish it with a WOPR upgrade and possibly some cosmetic upgrades like a new faceplate. But before I do that I am re-familiarizing myself with the Phase Linear amplifier family by fixing up the 400's. At this point I've got 1 of the 2 PL400's working (the 8 fin model).

Also I just got a good deal on a Carver C-1 pre-amp. I don't know much about the Carver preamps, but I see over on thecarversite that this preamp can be modded to be a great performer, so that is on my to-do list as well.

Regardless of all that, this site is a great resource for Phase Linear fans and I am glad I found it.