INTEGRATED AMP QUESTION.

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
I have a Rotel RA-1412 which I would like to use a a PRE-AMP ONLY. The instructions state NOT TO POWER THE AMP UP WITHOUT SPEAKERS CONNECTED. I would like to ask the experts if I am safe to power up this unit, pre and power amp separated, NO INPUT signal to power amp, with no speakers? Being a solid state amp I've read that this is possibly acceptable or would I need a resistance across the outputs? I am in the process of setting up a tri-amp system but am waiting for another active crossover. In the mean time (this will be the high freq amp) I was going to run bi-amped with a passive crossover and not use the rotel power amp?

Thanks for your input.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Turn the speaker selectors off and leave the volume at zero?

If you have minimal current, you have minimal thermal problems and such...

although, short of owning a WOPL I don't know why you'd bypass an ass-kicking amp like this one.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/rotel-RA-1412.html

One of those rare birds to enjoy a while you move up.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
According to the instruction manual and if you set the switch on the back to "Separate" You can use the pre-amp or main amp sections independant of each other.

The warning in the beginning of the manual looks like a general warning so people don't plug the unit in turn it on and then short it out by trying to connect the speakers.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It still leaves sore but happy buttocks when used.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Turn the speaker selectors off and leave the volume at zero?

If you have minimal current, you have minimal thermal problems and such...

although, short of owning a WOPL I don't know why you'd bypass an ass-kicking amp like this one.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/rotel-RA-1412.html

One of those rare birds to enjoy a while you move up.
I've just hooked it up yesterday, and it does sound sweet, but here is a brief run down of what I'm trying to accomplish. Also, I'm moving and must leave my father his gear so I'm building a different rack up for myself. The speakers are mine and will be going with me.

Was running: Sansui Au-7900 separated, active crossover and a PL400 series I for the lows (100hz down) and the Sansui power amp 100hz up

New system: Rotel RA-1412 pre amp 3 way active crossover, QSC 1400 mono bridged (lows 70hz and down), PL400 (70-800hz), Rotel drives mids and horns (800-4k passive, 4k up on horns).

I'd like to find a PL700, or two :E but these are the three amps I have to work with right now. I wasn't going to use the Rotel ATM because I only have a 2 way stereo crossover..

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
According to the instruction manual and if you set the switch on the back to "Separate" You can use the pre-amp or main amp sections independant of each other.

The warning in the beginning of the manual looks like a general warning so people don't plug the unit in turn it on and then short it out by trying to connect the speakers.

aside from the line "another main amplifier may be hooked up"... It sounds like they're expecting that signal to come back to the power amp. I just don't want to dicker the thing. I've never had a situation where I wanted to run one with no speakers before...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
With no input to the Rotel amp in "separate" mode nothing will happen to the amp stage. There will be bias current at the MOST going through it. The owners manual emphasis is based more to the user not forgetting to go to the "unite" switch position to use it..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There were a lot of amps of that era that used the same Pre out/ amp in option...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
image.jpg
There's the Rotel. I found this baby in the garbage dump! Works great, all inputs and outputs work, not a mark on it and all switches and knobs are quiet. I guess someone tossed it cuz it doesn't have a remote or Dolby 5.1 surround sound! Some peoples kids...