How Well Carbon Fiber and Other Fibers Shield Radio Waves

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
100% true by experience. We use data acquisition devices in our track cars. Many guys have replaced their sunroof mechanisms (a very heavy and high pendulum weight hardware cost when you consider the tracks, motor, panel, etc) with a carbon fiber panel. The panels are relatively small but have cut down considerable GPS signals in certain areas while on track. I suspect this is because certain satellites are being used and their signal strength might be reduced in certain areas. My GPS antennas are exterior/roof mounted and have no problem...some guys have needed to buy GPS repeaters, with the repeater's transmitter mounted inside the cockpit, to overcome this problem. I am fairly certain they had to source the repeaters through Canada, as they could not find a retailer in the US.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I dunno.

I may have applied an aluminum thermal spray coating to parts that may have been missle cones and the coating may have been there to shield internal componets that may have been there from external RF interference.

Maybe.