How do you clean your heads?

I always thought there was mileage in using a polishing cloth of somesort after swabbing heads with IPA. It makes sense, you can see the effect of residue/deposition on glass under light after using any sort of liquid.

From Andrey (?) at CDS, who was also a TH member that got banned unnecessarily and arbitrarily. There was even a mini-revolt there when that happened as I remember and I think it was the catalyst for a lot of people including many of you here migrating away from TH. Correct?

In any case he just made a decent video comparing various cleaning fluids usually used to clean heads.
Doesn't look very scientific however and all that crud you can see from the IPA (the first liquid) was always going to look worse than the 2 following wasn't it?

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Yes I'm one of those guys.
Seen the video this morning on F'ass book, I though that IPA wasn't leaving residues, well, looking for methanol now.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
IPA puts the contaminants into solution and then it evaporates, so they get re dispersed.

We ran into this at a former employer who had the habit of ultrasonic cleaning grit blasted samples in IPA to remove the grit before coating, but when they did they would apply a micro film of oil over that blasted surface and bond strength was measurably lower.

Cleaning three times with fresh IPA each time should do it. We just eliminated the practice since actual hardware is not treated that way either.