Help a crazy old man.

Mike Brosmore

New Around These Parts
I have a PL 400 and want to do a complete White Oak upgrade. Could any of you give me advice on which kits are needed for this venture

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Thank you sir. One question is the control board either or?
The control board can be configured for quasi- or full- complimentary, if that’s what you’re asking. The backplanes are a full-complimentary circuit only, and the control board must be constructed accordingly. You can leave the backwall point-to-point circuit as it is and still use the control board, but you won’t get as much benefit. There’s a synergy in using both the backplanes and the control circuit together- it’s a “tuned” system, made for each other.

EDIT:
The same circuits are used for the original 400 and the Series Two– no difference.

Last edited:

Mike Brosmore

New Around These Parts
Yes, pick the option you like. Connectors or no connectors. Most choose connectors.
Yes, pick the option you like. Connectors or no connectors. Most choose connectors.
If I may ask a few more questions before ordering. Is there a speaker protection board? Is there better connections for the speakers? Hoping all white oak products. Also I've been told about quasi and full complimentary which I don't understand but my tech should. What are the benefits of them and which would you choose

Mike Brosmore

New Around These Parts
I would like to thank everyone that has provided me with information on how to upgrade this piece of Americana and my youth. Now to contact all the parts suppliers and spend some money to make it happen. Once again thank you.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Hi Mark
That link is long dead. Earthlink moved on and so did Don...

New link = WELCOME TO WATTS ABUNDANT
I still have an unpublished Earthlink account with a couple domains. Earthlink still offers dial up. Been working on a new web site forever. When it's done the current Watts Abundant content will be replaced. All of my original P/L service manuals (50+) are uploaded. Also have early documents from a local repair shop.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Don, was just checking out your PL 2000 service manual thru the Audio Karma link. Superb crystal clear scan, best available I've seen on the internet. What a fantastic resource! I also appreciate those service bulletins. Very cool. How do we access the 50 service manuals? Wait for the new website?