Hello from Overundr1

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Welcome Aboard Overundr1,
You've got a great background, and you will find some fantastic people here!
I dipped my toes in the Phase Linear water about 1976, and am still enjoying the pool !!!
Enjoy.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome to our forum. Indeed - a number of us have owned and continue to use vintage Sansui gear.

Nando.

Overundr1

New Around These Parts
Have a PL-4000 inbound that needs a complete reflow,. Once that is corrected then have to find a PL-400 to rebuild and modify. Remember seeing that combination in a stereo store in the mid 70's gracious 50 years ago. Will be interesting to see how it does against my full on restoration of a Sansui CA-3000/BA-2000 combo. So for now will be doing lots of reading on those two pieces. As a side note rather conversant with KiCad, given all the threads about that main control board designed before plated through holes might just have to give myself a winter project and come up with a modern version.
I also see the love for the 700 however the 400 has more than enough power and that look hits all the right buttons for me. And another note since I am rambling about, I really really like all my quad gear so will be interesting to see how well the PL-4000 SQ mode stacks up.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Have a PL-4000 inbound that needs a complete reflow,. Once that is corrected then have to find a PL-400 to rebuild and modify. Remember seeing that combination in a stereo store in the mid 70's gracious 50 years ago. Will be interesting to see how it does against my full on restoration of a Sansui CA-3000/BA-2000 combo. So for now will be doing lots of reading on those two pieces. As a side note rather conversant with KiCad, given all the threads about that main control board designed before plated through holes might just have to give myself a winter project and come up with a modern version.
I also see the love for the 700 however the 400 has more than enough power and that look hits all the right buttons for me. And another note since I am rambling about, I really really like all my quad gear so will be interesting to see how well the PL-4000 SQ mode stacks up.
The PL4000 will be your weak link. The design was a first attempt. They learned from it and did better on subsequent products...

There are much better pre's to pair up with a PL amplifier.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it

Remember, a 400 WOPL and a 700B/ II WOPL cost pretty much the same to build and resale for the 700B/ II so choose wisely. The 400 may HAVE enough power but more bang for the buck can be realized with the bigger amp.