Hello from Oklahoma!

Turboj5525

New Around These Parts
Thanks!

Friends have called me turbo since I was a kid and my lucky number was always 5 lol. Somehow it ended up with more numbers to be useable on certain large interweb sites.
Also of note I would like to someday own a air cooled turbo 911! Lol. But currently my car issue as my wife calls it, involves a 79 Chevy C10 factory 454. Affectionately called "Melba Toast" lol
20210303_110516.jpg

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
If it's to loud-You're too old!!
WELCOME! I'm new here myself, but the folks at this forum are some of the most helpful carbon based life forms currently infesting this flat planet! I've been obsessed with Phase Linear amps since 1974 when I smoked a tweeter in Pacific Stereos most expensive Infinity speakers with a PL700/1 in their premier listening room with a salesman encouraging me to "turn it up, those speakers can take it!!" That was right before a large puff of smoke enveloped the front of that impressive loudspeaker. I was speechless!! As a married 21 year old who craved high wattage in stereo gear, I was in love with that Phase Linear amp- but there was no way I could afford a Phase Linear 700 at that time, I decided that night that some day / some how I would own a Phase Linear 700. I finally bought a well used PL700/1 30 years later. It finally died in 2018 after rockin' my world for many years... . Then I started hanging around this forum a few months ago hoping to find a way to repair my dead PL700/1 , and now I own a beautiful- recently built WOPL 700B. Watch out Turboj55- this website may cause you to act all patriotic & goofy!, there are guys actually HOARDING old Phase Linear amplifiers, with plans to upgrade them all with White Oak components. These patriots will prove that what was MADE IN THE U.S.A. can be RE-MADE IN THE U.S.A. even better & end the current trend toward disposable cheap Chinese made digital Hi-Fi domination of the audio enthusiast market.
:wav: WOW! Those guys are my heroes! :blob4::blob5::blob2::hello1::blob8::blob6::blob7:

Turboj5525

New Around These Parts
WELCOME! I'm new here myself, but the folks at this forum are some of the most helpful carbon based life forms currently infesting this flat planet! I've been obsessed with Phase Linear amps since 1974 when I smoked a tweeter in Pacific Stereos most expensive Infinity speakers with a PL700/1 in their premier listening room with a salesman encouraging me to "turn it up, those speakers can take it!!" That was right before a large puff of smoke enveloped the front of that impressive loudspeaker. I was speechless!! As a married 21 year old who craved high wattage in stereo gear, I was in love with that Phase Linear amp- but there was no way I could afford a Phase Linear 700 at that time, I decided that night that some day / some how I would own a Phase Linear 700. I finally bought a well used PL700/1 30 years later. It finally died in 2018 after rockin' my world for many years... . Then I started hanging around this forum a few months ago hoping to find a way to repair my dead PL700/1 , and now I own a beautiful- recently built WOPL 700B. Watch out Turboj55- this website may cause you to act all patriotic & goofy!, there are guys actually HOARDING old Phase Linear amplifiers, with plans to upgrade them all with White Oak components. These patriots will prove that what was MADE IN THE U.S.A. can be RE-MADE IN THE U.S.A. even better & end the current trend toward disposable cheap Chinese made digital Hi-Fi domination of the audio enthusiast market.
:wav: WOW! Those guys are my heroes! :blob4::blob5::blob2::hello1::blob8::blob6::blob7:
Man that is the kind of story that makes me love all this stuff so much!! And although I was just a twinkle in my Dad's eye when this stuff was new I remember even as a small child seeing a lot of this equipment and knowing nothing but being fully aware it was really awesome stuff. For whatever reason I may not have even been able to articulate at that point, I was drawn to it. Today listening to music on this type of equipment is some of the best times I experience next to my children lol. I definitely feel the patriotic side of things too!!! One of my sons is in the Air Force and I have served the public of the greatest country in the world in one form or another for my entire adult life. I definitely feel a great sense of pride when I see the "Made in the U.S.A." logo on a lot of my favorite vintage gear. That fact about Phase Linear if I hadn't already, made me fall hopelessly in love with it even more. I agree with you completely the feeling of being MADE IN THE U.S.A. and RE-MADE IN THE U.S.A. is outstanding! The first thing I tell people about some of my favorite things is they don't make things like this anymore and I wish they did. I can imagine the young person who was maybe working their first "real" job going to work and helping produce, design, or engineer these awesome products and it takes me back to a simpler time when at least in hindsight things seemed better lol. I definitely have a tendency toward nostalgia. I love to hear the stories of those of you who were lusting after this stuff. Every time I use it I feel those stories when I'm fortunate enough to find and own a piece of history like these amps. And you are right this forum is outstanding. Been a part of many different forums over the years and this one and the members here are a standout! :usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2:

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Also of note I would like to someday own a air cooled turbo 911! Lol. But currently my car issue as my wife calls it, involves a 79 Chevy C10 factory 454. Affectionately called "Melba Toast" lol
View attachment 58764
Turbo,
That's a gorgeous " BIG-10 " you have there.

I remember reading ads like this & seeing them out & about in the KCMO area back in the day:
BIG-10 ad(opt).jpg

Listen, being raised in the midwest I liked trucks before they became cool! And you said it's a 454 big block, right?

Around 1980 a buddy bought a '74 Chevy C-20, featuring a small Tepee behind each door, with "Trailering Special" written underneath.
454/Turbo 400/14-bolt 4.11/factory Gov-Lok. It had a lot of promise, but the engine was tired. We rebuilt it, installed a
Tarantula Torker intake, a high-lift/short duration cam in it, and proceeded to have quite a time with it. That thing was a *beast*.

NOTE: I only know about the factory gov-lok because while the engine was out we replaced the worn-out clutches in order to make it work, and it did...for a little while, and then we blew up the spinning governer locking widget while doing some mud bog racing. Talking with those in the know (pre-internet, we used to do this face-to-face :0) ...we were told that the factory posi wasn't going to hold up under enthusiastic usage...so we did next best thing, and welded up the spider gears.

*That* held up, but the rear tires would squeal and the truck would slow down whenever you made a 90-degree turn on dry pavement...especially on a hot day. (So many people would stop & look when we were innocently making a gentle 90-degree turn at an intersection. :0)

If I could have one more truck before I check out, I would want a clean BIG-10 fleetside short-bed with the original 454/Turbo 400. Or, if the original 454 and/or the Turbo 400 was tired, I would start my search for a 8.1L (496ci) big block with the rare ZF6 6-speed manual. And, I would NOT weld up the spider gears this time around. Live & learn. :0)

Yup, that truck would definitely outlast me. Perfect.

...But I digress. Good thing we aren't neighbors...or the shenanigans would begin. Nice truck - keep taking great care of it!

And Welcome Aboard! I haven't been here much longer than you, and already I've (virtually) met some really sharp & helpful folks here! Definitely the best forum I've found -- and the first one I stopped lurking & actually joined!

Enjoy the ride --

Last edited:
Tagline
Put a Torsen diff in it.
I've used a Torsen, liked it a *lot* -- smooth & positive!

PS: The next upgrade for my '02 CR-V AWD/5-speed is a larger diameter rear sway bar sourced from a Honda Element.

The second in line upgrade will be an Option 1 for the rear diff:

Right now I'm running actual 1-season snow tires, so the rear Torsen upgrade is probably overkill for my current situation. But if I find a small bungalow out on Tug Hill? Then the cost of the rear Torsen upgrade will simply be factored into the cost of the moving all my upgraded gear to a quiet country location... (a man's gotta dream...:0)

Tagline
View attachment 58764
Before your truck sidetracked me I was originally going to comment on your Marantz 2325! Over the years I've listened to a couple of 2270s, in 2 different systems -- and they really had that sound where you could listen to them all day long, every day, with zero ear fatigue. (!)

Given the above, I've always been on the lookout for a 2235 siting, but they must be pretty rare, for I've never seen one in the wild - yours is the first! Q: Have you owned it long? How did you find it? And for what it's worth, I like the idea of using that for a preamp driving a PL amp -- that would definitely end up with a smooth, effortless sound...

Good luck with your ongoing hunt!

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Nice to see you, to see you nice. Welcome to PHOENIX . No Rabbit hole here. Its more like a...... black hole. You come here and never get out. There is more cool stereo shit here than anywhwere else on the net dude so congratulations. Believe me once you connect a pre amp up to an amp and start running separates, its all over.