Hello, all

ThomOfYorke

New Around These Parts
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Some of you may recognize my handle from the TH forums. I decided to join here on the recommendation of another member, with the intention to broaden my access to valuable information and guidance on restoring, repairing, and servicing tape decks and possibly other vintage audio gear.

I've been a hifi enthusiast for a long while now: I used to work in a record shop in Chicago, and also worked in a hifi shop, setting up turntables and working the sales floor. In that time, I acquired my current system components, ranging from tube amplifiers, tape decks, reel-to-reels, an 8-track deck, CD transport, network streamer, tube DAC, and so on. Recently converted from Pioneer tape-deck fan-boy to Nakamichi tape-deck fan-boy. I also recently got a MD deck (Sony MDS-JA50ES). Also a big fan of Grado headphones.

More recently, I decided to commit to beginning the journey of tape-deck repair so I can learn, eventually, to be self-sufficient in keeping my vintage gear in top shape. I've got all the necessary bench gear (Fluke 117 DMM, Tektronix 2495A scope, Leader W&F meter, Leader freq counter, Leader DC adjustable PS, Leader ACMV meter, Leader distortion meter, and Leader signal gen), some HPR test tapes, and a practice deck (Nak 480), and am still in the process of acquiring more test tapes (Gennlab) and on the lookout for an IT M-300 gauge. Once I have those things and some odds and ends, I'll have my workbench totally set up and ready to get going.

I hope to be able to contribute to the community here, and I look forward to participating in the discussions here!

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Welcome to the dogma free zone! I thought I recognized your handle. As of recent we've been having a lot of good cassette related posts/threads.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
It's great to Have you join us @ThomOfYorke. There are a few good resources as far as members who may be able to help you with your endeavours.

Nando.