Has everyone seen the Mag Lev turntables?

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Convinced only now about alien tech?

This turntable is made in Slovenia of all places!

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No but I have ridden on the mag lev train in Shanghai a lot of times.

We need infrastructure like that in the US

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Only flaw I see is that the arm and the platter need to be tied together... otherwise if the platter is bumped, it will do terrible things to the arm, stylus and possibly record not to mention mess up VTA and VTF. It's definitely not a hifi TT but a very cool conversation piece. Great for $1-2 records and judging by the fact the absolute cheapest Ortofon cart comes with it... well you get it

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
"Only Flaw"....? Your critique seems to point out quite a few rendering it a high priced piece of shit. Well deserved apparently. Well put Ron.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I do agree with you , Ron .
We could also consider that the price of Thorens TD 160 is about 300/ 400€ and so on .
Ciao
Marco

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Only flaw I see is that the arm and the platter need to be tied together... otherwise if the platter is bumped, it will do terrible things to the arm, stylus and possibly record not to mention mess up VTA and VTF. It's definitely not a hifi TT but a very cool conversation piece. Great for $1-2 records and judging by the fact the absolute cheapest Ortofon cart comes with it... well you get it
That's a pretty significant flaw. Probably also eliminates the possibility of using a carbon fiber brush before play. But that nifty factor will likely make it sell well to some people somewhere.

This concept seems to be even less practical than the Oasis turntable.

Oasis turntable.jpg

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
It is cool looking but I think that is all the team of designers had in mind because it does not operate as a functional unit IMO. The platter and arm have to always be in sync (as in lockstep). This is why suspension TT's will play even though they are moving up and down independent of the plinthe when you walk by if the TT is not isolated from ground vibrations. Can you imagine a window open and a breeze coming in makes that levitating platter wobble LMAO!!!!

Now watch Dan's SOTA, that is how a suspension is supposed to work

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BDZDBY4jZu4" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media"></iframe>

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Yeah; It may not be HiFi, but Mr. Natural & I could watch that thing spin for a loooooong time!