Gx-77 distortion problem

Tagline
---
I asked this on tapeheads, but you guys have amazing knowledge here. I've got a GX-77 R2R that plays wonderfully, but when recording it has serious distortion. It doesn't matter which direction I'm recording in, the distortion is always present. Turning the bias adjustment knob more negative makes the distortion worse. Distortion is in the bass, treble sounds normal. Bias adjustment knob works as intended otherwise -- matching the treble output to the source still works, but the bass gets more distorted as I go further to the negative. It cleans up some if I adjust it to the right (but with the tape I'm using, that makes the recording sound flat with no top end). And the distortion doesn't disappear even when adjusted all the way to the right. Increasing input volume causes the distortion to get worse as well.

When the tape/source switch is on Source, it sounds clean and perfect. When on tape, it sounds distorted when playing back what was just recorded. Playing back tapes recorded on other decks sounds perfect.

I've cleaned the hell out of the two long switches under the capstan flywheels.

Is this a common malady with the GX-77? Something with a known fix? Or am I going to have to find a guy to work on it? (Or just use it as a playback deck indefinitely, more likely...)

Charles.

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Demagnetize it.

Tagline
---
Has anyone ever had demagnetizing a head make one iota of difference? I've never experienced a difference, and I have countless decks.

Charles.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I thrashed a head in the recording deck of a Pioneer dual cassette model after a serious amount of duplicating mixtapes and was really afraid the head was worn out. Shotwell sent me a demagnetizer and after I used it I got that deck back 100%, no problems.

I don't use them on EVERYTHING, in face just that one deck but it did indeed save a favorite deck.