Got the Vinyl Bug back

HPM 200

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Last week a friend was over for some computer help. He than proceeded to get me going about turntables, records and a few days later I found myself coming home with a few new second hand records, a Nad pp4 pre-amp and a pioneer pl-514 turntable and a badly beaten buget so I could rip my records to digital and play back via the computer.

Pulled out my record collection that hadn't seen the light of day since the mid 1970's when I switched to cassettes . Then there was a session of washing the records and then I started
spinning and ripping, I had completely forgotten how fine a record can sound.:hello1:

Now that I have been hit by the vinyl bug again I now want option to run the turntable directly through my amp and or the computer, the stumbling block I have encountered is the Nad Pre-amp outputs in USB and RCA and the Nad C390DD Dac only has one XLR, two Toslink and two digital Coaxial inputs so I was wondering what options there are for cabling or is an RCA to XLR OR Coaxial converter required and where would I source the gear.

Mike

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I go from Record player to pre-amp, then use the line level out (rec) from the pre-amp directly into the line in of the computer soundcard. Levels can be adjusted with recording software to prevent clipping.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Most shops selling musical instruments should have RCA to XLR male to male cables. They usually don't come in bonded pairs for stereo, so you may end up buying singles.

I recently bought a switch box for my son for analog RCA input to digital output TOSLINK and optical from Main Electronics in Vancouver. But, then you have to buy the cabling, as well as the adapter box.

Nando.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Last week a friend was over for some computer help. He than proceeded to get me going about turntables, records and a few days later I found myself coming home with a few new second hand records, a Nad pp4 pre-amp and a pioneer pl-514 turntable and a badly beaten buget so I could rip my records to digital and play back via the computer.

Pulled out my record collection that hadn't seen the light of day since the mid 1970's when I switched to cassettes . Then there was a session of washing the records and then I started
spinning and ripping, I had completely forgotten how fine a record can sound.:hello1:

Now that I have been hit by the vinyl bug again I now want option to run the turntable directly through my amp and or the computer, the stumbling block I have encountered is the Nad Pre-amp outputs in USB and RCA and the Nad C390DD Dac only has one XLR, two Toslink and two digital Coaxial inputs so I was wondering what options there are for cabling or is an RCA to XLR OR Coaxial converter required and where would I source the gear.

Mike
Mike,
looks like what you need is the DD AP-1 phono module.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-mdc-modules/DD-AP-1-Analogue-Phono-Module

HPM 200

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hello

Thanks for all the input guys, as soon as the budget allows I will be purchasing the Nad DD AP-1 Module, I had the good fortune to talk to a fellow in town
who has been in the electric equipment business for decades and who should take up teaching, he explained the circuitry involved so I actually understood it and only took 3 minutes to do so ha ha . Like I have said before this type of electronics is all new to me.

Now I know the XLR input on the Nad C390DD is a single digital input, and the module has two channels in XLR and RCA for me to play with after I get the appropriate cabling.

Mike