Friggin’ gravity…

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Should be fine.

Looks like 1/4-sawn oak or maybe hickory. But the bolt threads should protrude at least 1 diameter (1.5 would be better, obviously)

EDIT- Thermite welding should hold it.

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
That pic I posted is just a mock up ... !

There is an antique railway station by my house that they are restoring and
I've been told the plan is to have an old steamer and some cars just sitting on some rails out front .
I posted this pic to the intewebs before and it always freaks people out !

M

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The old CRC engineering books had all the properties of various woods for engineering. They used it for a LOOOONG time before cast iron, and finally steel, took over. Woods are no longer in the newer versions...

Nothing wrong with wood when used properly.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Here's how it's done nowadays:
Not around these parts, that must be for high speed rail or something special. Regular cargo carrying rails are bolted together and in the time that those guys welded that one joint, a regular crew would have laid 60 yards.
Definitely impressive welding though.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Not around these parts, that must be for high speed rail or something special. Regular cargo carrying rails are bolted together and in the time that those guys welded that one joint, a regular crew would have laid 60 yards.
Definitely impressive welding though.
I was watching a crew recently laying track late at night near my place. It's all automated now. Hands free.
It's just fascinating. A huge change from when I worked for a derailment gang in my late teens around 1970.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That’s an interesting thought. But there’s no paint to harm. The light material is solid “concrete”.

I’ll use the emblem tape. The emblem is solid aluminum and probably should have had some locating pins on the back. Then this wouldn’t have happened.

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
If I can see correctly, it looks like granite. If it is really granite it is dangerous to drill it to put pins in. So, glue is the best choice. 3M has some great double sided tapes. The only disadvantage is that since it's stuck, you can't reorient it. You have to put it straight from the beginning. These tapes stick with the slightest touching! And it will be difficult to remove it from the emblem since it is an aluminum sheet. It could bent easily.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Oh, yeah. All the old glue will come off. There are two "former" resting places clearly visible. Original, one after that and now it sits lower, and further right.

I'll measure where it was originally, and then clean everything off. Probably acetone so everything is off before I re-attach. Taping it in position for a day after I set it, it will be there long after I die.

I may look into some heavier grease for the mechanics. The table is nice, and a new power supply will make it nicer, but the arm mechanics are very noisy... (work perfectly however).