Fixing TT tops

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
We use to use Micro-Mesh to get scratches and hazing of the cabin windows. Cheaper than replacing.

I have used the headlight cleaner on cars. My one top is pretty bad so I ordered some lens restorer. Will see how it works. Cheaper than replacing it.

Larry

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Yup, just a case of using the lightest cutting material that will remove the deepest blemish you want to remove and then working up the scale (numbers) or down the scale (size of cutting media) until a nice polish finishes it up.

I have used the standard car finish products to cut the scratches but liked what I have read about the micro mesh. Can you comment on whether this is good for dust covers? I have a couple I need to attend to that are not badly scratched.

speakerman1

Tagline
8991XJ said:
Yup, just a case of using the lightest cutting material that will remove the deepest blemish you want to remove and then working up the scale (numbers) or down the scale (size of cutting media) until a nice polish finishes it up.

I have used the standard car finish products to cut the scratches but liked what I have read about the micro mesh. Can you comment on whether this is good for dust covers? I have a couple I need to attend to that are not badly scratched.
Micro mesh is a long process. Like you said you go lowest to highest. At one point we were starting at 80 grit and finishing with 6000 grit if I remember right. We used Mirror Glaze to polish them. You are always changing direction to keep from just doing it one way. You have to do that to keep from getting a wavy look and staying one place to long. Up and down and back and forth. You do it wet. It is messy. We were doing whole aircraft. When the Japanese volcano blew. Ash was carried every where. It was like bead blasting the windows. So we were doing it instead of replacing the windows.

If they are light scratches or swirls. Use the Mirror glaze to clean them. We never cleaned plastic with normal cleaners. It was always mirror glaze. Small aircraft use plastic or lexan for windscreens.

Hope that helps. It may take a long time; but it looks like new. Just follow the directions.

Larry

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Is Mirror Glazze still available? I used to use one of their products exclusively to polish my bike. I like it much better than wax. Their are a lot of polishes available now.

Jim

speakerman1

Tagline
This is one kit I ordered. This top doesn't have really deep scratches. I also have a 3M kit you use in a drill. You have to keep water on them to keep them cool or they will craze. So I have to find a spray bottle. Will show a before and after pic.

Larry

Attachments