fan speed controller ?

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Does anyone know of a thermal fan speed controller that might be suitable for a PL 700? My Pro 700 has a factory pair of fans hung on the back, but they're kind of annoying. I'd like to have them set up to ramp up in speed as the heat sink gets warmer, sort of like a computer fan does. Any thoughts on how I might get that done? Failing that, any sources for very quiet 120vac fans? I think these are probably 5" jobbers.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
This is an area of interest for me too. There was some discussion here about using a commonly used motor control technique - pulse width modulation - that is designed to turn the fan on at a predetermined temperature and modulate the speed based on a temperature sensor input. I've done a small amount of research in this area and the computer cooling fans jump out as something to consider. The fans are generally quite and are made in large quantities keeping the prices low. It would be nice to come up with a common system that we could all make use of to cool the output drivers.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Thermostat Limit Switch?

I recently bought a new house with a gas fireplace. There was no blower on the fireplace and I'd had one previously that worked well. So I did some searching and came up with this:

http://www.fireplaceblowersonline.com/parts___accessories-list.aspx

What we're looking at are Thermostat Limit Switches. The one in the middle is the switch mounted on a flat piece of steel with a magnet (maybe 2"x3"). The magnet is the larger of the 2 circles. These turn on at 120 degrees and off at 90 degrees. They're 110V and do have a slight audible snap when the circuit is closed. And yes, you can use an inline rheostat for fan speed.

I thought something similar could be used for PL amps, with the exception of the heat sinks not being magnetic. Simply screw them on. They're less than an inch in diameter and have mounting holes. I'd think that once a source is found, specific (different) temperature ranges could be chosen based on the best operating range of the amp. Being 110V makes wiring a snap and no interference from a 12V transformer.

Just a thought.