Dynaco PAS 4 with WOPL 400?

nelsress

Journeyman
Have any of you guys tried a Dynaco PAS 4 tube preamp with a WOPL 400? The Dynaco PAS 4 is a design by Panor Corp. from the early to mid 90's that is fairly well regarded, particularly at its price point with a nice phono section. I had one of these ten or so years back that I used with a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 and was very impressed. So much so that I regretted selling it (even after owning better but MUCH more expensive preamps) and so kept my eye out for another one.

Well, I finally found another one within the past year that I've been using and still like it a lot and was wondering if any of you guys happen to have tried it in combo with a WOPL 400, or know anyone who has?

The phono section uses (2) 12AX7's (ECC83) and (2) 6DJ8's (6922) while the line section utilizes (2) 6DJ8 (6922) tubes. The owner's manual can be viewed by following the link below. I remember reading somewhere on here (or it may have been on AK) that there's an important pre input impedence to amp output impedence ratio for matching a pre with a WOPL 400 but I'm not sure how that works. Any help is, as alwys, greatly appeciated.

http://www.goldpt.com/pas4_manual.pdf

Nelson

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A stock WOPL can handle the impedence match no problem. Joe and I were working on dropping the input impedence one time but that idea didn't fly....so it's all good...

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Should be OK. The old PAS wouldn't drive the 39k input load of a stock Phase Linear worth a crap. Mine had trouble driving a 150k input load. They were mated to the Stereo 70 with a 470k input. Designs with a cathode follower will drive just about into a short circuit without complaint. This PAS4 lists 40 ohms, which tells me cathode follower. My modified PAS2 uses one now, and it will happily drive my PL 700. Thats whats sitting on top of it now actually.

nelsress

Journeyman
Thanks guys!

Hopefully they'll match up nicely, if not I'll have to try another preamp with it. This is all good information with regard to what to look for in a preamp that will potentially work well with the WOPL 400. Thanks again guys.

Should be OK. The old PAS wouldn't drive the 39k input load of a stock Phase Linear worth a crap. Mine had trouble driving a 150k input load. They were mated to the Stereo 70 with a 470k input. Designs with a cathode follower will drive just about into a short circuit without complaint. This PAS4 lists 40 ohms, which tells me cathode follower. My modified PAS2 uses one now, and it will happily drive my PL 700. Thats whats sitting on top of it now actually.