DC offset - how far apart can the channels be?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The Sony STR-6045 I just acquired (and posted about) has unequal DC offset. There is 13mv on one side and 74mv on the other. Bias current was 12.5mv on both channels but the service manual said 25mv. I adjusted accordingly but DC offset seemed unaffected.

I was under the impression that DC offset was altered by adjusting bias current.

In any case, is the offset disparity cause for concern? The opinions I've read seem to say 74mv is not great but not atrocious. The receiver performed OK with unaltered bias but I've not spent time with it since kicking it up to 25mv. If sound is good and it does not start off throwing off heat, would anyone be bothered about the offset difference?

Despite that I did not do well trying to refurbish a Kenwood integrated, I don't think I'd be against changing the differential transistor pairs. Provided that is I can figure out which new ones would work, I always have trouble with that. And, that critical matching is not essential.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
No, don't go messing around with stuff until you know what the matter is.

If you look on AK you might be able to find Glen's (EchoWars) thread on adjusting DC offset etc.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
EW's thread talks to the need to have the offset low. Sonically, anything under 15 is great, under 50 is fine and over 75 is maybe starting to make the sound not so good. They do not need to match.

I don't think bias is a big mover of the offset.

There is a thread on ak about fixing your issue. The differential pair on one channel aren't as matched as they might have once been and need to be replaced.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sony-str-6045-bias-and-dc-offset.709212/

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Offset is affected IN MOST CASES by the front differential pair of small signal transistors. Bias adjustments SHOULD NOT affect offset in any significant way. The only downside to excess offset is heat build up in the voice coils of your speaks....DC is BAD for speakers, BUT 74 mv ain't much....

62vauxhall

Tagline
That means I shall not be tinkering with it. Thanks!

I'll play with for a couple weeks then probably flog it on CL or CAM. Because of the wood sleeve, I may go on the high side asking price wise.

Kind of wish I had the room to keep stuff like this. It is a very nice looking unit.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Yup. Count your blessings you live in a house. I used to think I would again one day but nope, ain't gonna happen. Not without winning a lottery anyway. I'd even settle for a second bedroom. I have little reservation letting go of black and grey faced stuff but silver face is just too pretty. I like shiny.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I count my blessings every day Gary....and thank God I woke up breating fresh air.....