Dave's WOPL 700B build #1

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I usually point the slit to the locator tab on the TO-5 transistors, which places it nearest to the emitter for ease of identifying the correct lead when probing. It is consistent but maybe not ideal for heat dissipation in the vertical plane.

Mark

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Wonder where you've been all day. I guarantee you'll be picking your jaw off the floor...
My jaw's STILL on the floor. But now I've got both 700B's fully upgraded to WOPL 1000's (+/- 110.5 and 108.7 VDC on the main rails).
It's a major wow factor, even at low volume levels. Having that kind of power reserve makes all the difference, and the White Oak Rev. D control boards coupled with new output transistors make these old amplifiers absolutely killer. They're dead ass quiet too, I can turn the volume up full and I hear no hiss and barely a bit of hum. I'm sure that the hum will be completely gone with new filter caps, properly bypassed.
I need to install a dc protect board in amp number two, I'm expecting that in the mail today or Monday. Here's a picture of my studio. The Dahlquist DQ-10 and DQ-1W speakers are in the living room, located to the left in this picture's perspective. I have JBL L-36 Decades hooked up and the amps are sitting on Optimus 7 speakers from Radio Shack, 1974.
I am expecting my Oppo BDP-105 to show up on Wednesday...
DSC_5717_3862.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My jaw's STILL on the floor. But now I've got both 700B's fully upgraded to WOPL 1000's (+/- 110.5 and 108.7 VDC on the main rails).
It's a major wow factor, even at low volume levels. Having that kind of power reserve makes all the difference, and the White Oak Rev. D control boards coupled with new output transistors make these old amplifiers absolutely killer. They're dead ass quiet too, I can turn the volume up full and I hear no hiss and barely a bit of hum. I'm sure that the hum will be completely gone with new filter caps, properly bypassed.
I need to install a dc protect board in amp number two, I'm expecting that in the mail today or Monday. Here's a picture of my studio. The Dahlquist DQ-10 and DQ-1W speakers are in the living room, located to the left in this picture's perspective. I have JBL L-36 Decades hooked up and the amps are sitting on Optimus 7 speakers from Radio Shack, 1974.
Nice Dave...

Why do builders always put windows in the wrong places? :)

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
View attachment 11426
I thought those JBLs looked familiar. I have four for the front and back of the HT. Love them.

Mark

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Thanks, guys! I wish I could have afforded all this when my ears were still young and I could hear above 8kHz!
It's amazing, even I had to flatten the high frequency EQ and turn down the tweeter L-pad on the speakers. Very cool.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks, guys! I wish I could have afforded all this when my ears were still young and I could hear above 8kHz!
It's amazing, even I had to flatten the high frequency EQ and turn down the tweeter L-pad on the speakers. Very cool.
Nice that you were able to get the matching walnut cabs for each of the 700s

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Did ya run a frequency response sweep??
Not on the top end, but I noticed that it's flat to at least 20 Hz or below when I was testing the DC protect circuit.
I'll say this...it SOUNDS really, really, really good. Best stereo I've ever heard, and I've heard a couple:laughing1:

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Nice that you were able to get the matching walnut cabs for each of the 700s
Yes, I got those a few years ago, before they got so expensive. I lucked out, and got them from different sellers, at different times, and they look like they were produced on the same day...