D/C 500 amp power/attenuator switches

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Looks like the power/attenuator switch on the 700 Series II and the D 500 or the C 500 are the same. Can anybody verify/shoot down? It looks like they use the same bracket and all. Thanks

P

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Man, I want my meter attenuator to start working, anybody find any good replacement candidates yet?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The brackets are the same. Here is the Phase 500 switch setup. It controls a relay so has little load. As well here are the power switches I use in all may builds. The C-500 carver are different spacing and has no power switch. I am refitting the led meter damaging switch to one of these switches to power it on and off

hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks Glenn, I use the same power switch when I have no originals. Are you sure they used 2 of the small alps switches when the 500 was built for power and attenuation?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Thanks Glenn, I use the same power switch when I have no originals. Are you sure they used 2 of the small alps switches when the 500 was built for power and attenuation?
Yes the same. I just pulled it apart for the photo. The power switch supplies low voltage to one these relays

Attachments

caseywjcmn

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Phase Linear Dual 500.

Are the Dual 500s any better than the 700 Series II and are there any pluses other than having more power?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The Dual-500,D-500 are both better and worse than a stock 700 series two. The pluses are built in DCP circuit, High frequency destortion attenuator, High / low rail voltage for 2 ohm operation and a built in Cooling fan. The minuses are poor layout of wiring, Way to many output transistors. I have to say owning one , maybe a few more than 1, to me they hasve the following benefits The are rare so having one is they Are unique, have a Few more ponies, not as many as you think, over the 700's. They can be upgraded into a fine amp similar the WOPL conversions talked about here. I will soon finish a full complementary conversion with Joe's control board. Parts are being ordered this weekend to finish, I need hundreds of MJ21195/96's to finish all my projects and just found a low cost national supplier. The first one I converted has excelent distortion and noise numbers compared to the stock unit. Over the next month I will have two converted units to do a shoot out against my WOPL and a very low hour stock Quassi unit and a tuned up stock full complementary unit. I just need to build a proper load back with non inductive resistors. The Audio Precision can hardly wait.

Last edited: