Custom Cornscala's build...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The WOPLwhiffer????? Gotta be a story behind that. Great lookin speaks!!!!

Tagline
---
It was a little cheaper than Bob Crites' woofer and had pretty much the same specs... Sounds awesome thanks
Looks good, nicely done!

I have been thinking of Cornscalas, what did you use for you mid and high range and how do they compare to the drivers and horns in the Crites version? What about Crossover?

FROM CRITES:
The Style B Cornscala has the CT120 tweeter, M2380 midrange horn and CW1526C woofer all flush mounted. This motorboard has a "backing board" to have enough thickness for recessing the M2380 horn and CW1526C woofer.
I have decided to make our new CT120 Tweeters standard on these. Much listening has convinced me that the CT120 is clearly better.
The following components are used.
Pair of our new CT120 Tweeters $225.00
Pair of Selenium D405 midrange drivers $348.00
Pair of M2380 horns $160.00
Pair of midrange horn/driver support brackets and pair of 2 inch gaskets $20.00
Pair of CW1526CF woofers $275.00
Pair of CSS500/5000 Cornscala Crossovers $250.00
Total for internal parts $1278.00.

How did you come in on the pricing ?

Any thoughts on the stlye D with the Faital pro drivers ? :

Now this one is a departure from the other versions of the Cornscala. This is a two-way. I had not really considered doing a two-way until recently when I became aware of the Faital Pro HF140 Driver. Drivers that can do a range off 400hz to near 20khz without a large amount of equalization are hard to find and the ones that can do that are very expensive...,that is, until the Faital Pro HF140 driver came along.

So, with a pair of these drivers being $550.00 and not having to have a tweeter, and being able to use a relatively simple passive crossover, this speaker becomes practical. The only other driver that I thought could do this before the Faital driver was the TAD 4002 at around $2500.00 per pair!!!
FAITAL PRO HF200 DATASHEET
With testing here in our shop, we decided on 500hz for the crossover point. We get a frequency response conforming to about plus or minus 5db all the way up to around 20khz.
The following components are used.
Pair of Faital Pro HF140 Drivers $550.00
Pair of Faital Pro LTH142 Tractrix) horns $130.00
Pair of midrange horn/driver support brackets and pair of 1.4 inch gaskets $20.00
Pair of CW1526CF woofers $275.00
Pair of CS500 Cornscala Crossovers $250.00
Total for internal parts $1225.00 with the crossovers.

Those drivers seem to be more expensive on ebay than from crites...
hmm such decisions.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
He has to charge more working on the Bay.... Don't I know it. But, you can buy off his site and save a few bucks. Just go and call him. He's a great guy.

I built the B style.. Great speaker.

Tagline
---
He has to charge more working on the Bay.... Don't I know it. But, you can buy off his site and save a few bucks. Just go and call him. He's a great guy.

I built the B style.. Great speaker.
I will definitely call him when the time comes to get this going

I would have to say I am leaning toward the D style mostly because I love the way this set looks with that wood horn.
also been thinking that would be cool with the bass bin as it is but having a fully shaped horn sitting on the base bin with no box around the horn so the driver and outside of horn would be visible.

I don't have a problem having an elliptical horn but would a round horn still be appropriate for an HF140 or HF200? this requires a little more research on my end. Round is appealing because I can turn it on a lathe...

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I'm with you on the Eminence woofers a lot of bang to the buck mine are over 20 years old now and still sound great....

It was a little cheaper than Bob Crites' woofer and had pretty much the same specs... Sounds awesome thanks

Tagline
---
I will definitely call him when the time comes to get this going

I would have to say I am leaning toward the D style mostly because I love the way this set looks with that wood horn.
also been thinking that would be cool with the bass bin as it is but having a fully shaped horn sitting on the base bin with no box around the horn so the driver and outside of horn would be visible.

I don't have a problem having an elliptical horn but would a round horn still be appropriate for an HF140 or HF200? this requires a little more research on my end. Round is appealing because I can turn it on a lathe...
this is basically exactly what I had in mind using the components of the d style

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 7.15.11 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 7.13.48 PM.jpg