Crown XLS2500

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
So I was going to bring this back to guitar center after I tried it out. But here it sits in my rack, a daily driver for a few months. I liked the 700B in most ways, as it regards to sound quality, over this amp. To get the most out of it, I used the 2v XLR connections out of the Denon DAP-2500 preamp, with the 901 VI EQ in the tape loop. There just wasn't enough gain in the unbalanced output it seemed.

The amp was an oh-so-easy impulse buy. It's quiet, and I'm VERY picky about noise. (No big transformer here). Buying this more or less reflects impatience on my part, as a little more planning on the long term likely would have given me a 700B WOPL. Still higher cost. Nonetheless, I've been a happy camper with this: excellent power for these speakers, low noise, doesn't heat the room, lower AC usage, doesn't hurt my back to use & it sounds pretty decent.

Anyway, I've kinda been missing you folks, and I hope all is well with everyone here and with your families - take care.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Crown always made decent equipment. I have not tried any of their newer stuff. Last Crown stuff I had was all 80s vintage

BubbaH

Tagline
---
XLS 1000 in the house here. It runs my series V 901's. Pretty decent little amps. They can rock pretty good for such a small package. I bought it as a temporary amp when my 1801 was down. After getting my 1801 back it went back into the box and set aside. It wasnt too long before my AP800 power amp started crackling, and its now sitting and the 1000 is in its place. Great little amp for a really nice price.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Have either of you tried the on-board crossover function? Just curious.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Orange, I was reading back through your "Busy Nocturne" thread, wondering how you are. Whats going on with the place? What's the inspection all about?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Joe: There seems to be a few members who have given their thumbs-up approval to the modern Crown amplifiers. I think it's great when you get the opportunity to demo an amp before buying it.

Nando.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe: There seems to be a few members who have given their thumbs-up approval to the modern Crown amplifiers. I think it's great when you get the opportunity to demo an amp before buying it.

Nando.
Both new and vintage...thumbs up.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I love the Crown amp I bought from Mark !! Real glad to have it !!!
What did you end up with Kevin?

Glad you guys like them. Haven't heard anything bad about them. Looks like the only drawback I can see on this is if the preamp used with it is a bit weak on the unbalanced outputs.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I love the Crown amp I bought from Mark !! Real glad to have it !!!
I think that was the original DC-300. Is it early enough to have the audio path (input to output) silkscreened on the back of the chassis?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What did you end up with Kevin?

Glad you guys like them. Haven't heard anything bad about them. Looks like the only drawback I can see on this is if the preamp used with it is a bit weak on the unbalanced outputs.
I have 4 DC-300's, the original classic Crown amp. One very low S/N DC-300, one later DC-300, one DC-300A and one DC-300A Series II