Contemplating a Bottlehead Moreplay Tube Preamp for the WOPL 400-II

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Been a busy Summer clearing the yard between storms and getting things checked off the honey-do list, even got an occasional chance to listen to music. Now looking to line-up Fall/Winter projects indoor that include possibly getting a new DAC and/or trying a tube preamp to feed the WOPL 400-II instead of the 2000-II. No complaints with the latter, just curious as I keep reading about tube "warmth" and how a preamp is the best component to "tube" in a system.

Has anybody tried running the Bottlehead Moreplay into a WOPL'ed amp? Curious if it is worthwhile, or a waste of time. I like the kit idea and use of home-grown components, as opposed to so many pre-built "cheap" options off ebay, Amazon and such. Tube systems seem to be much more straightforward, but I know there is a lot more than what meets the eye in a simple schematic, so rolling my own probably won't be an option as I lack expertise.

Thanks

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I think the sonic differences (assuming both are of good quality) are negligible unless you have a very resolving set up. That generally entails some TOTL speakers and a well prepared listening space.

If it’s for casual listening, I don’t expect any night-and-day difference there.

I had a Counterpoint tube preamp a long time ago feeding a Hafler amp into Advent legacy speakers and going to a PS Audio 5.0 pre saw no significant change in that system.

My current system may reveal differences, but my power amp already uses some tubes for voltage gain and mosfet output. My preamp is also solid state now (Perreaux class-A) and I feel going from source to source, and type of music, it reveals what was intended from the recording (warts and all). That what I wanted- to be able to really listen deep into recordings. The breathing, background comments, count in at the beginning of songs etc. and I get that.

It was a long road for me but unless there is a failure, I’m reasonably content.

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Try anything that you can get your hands on. That's what makes it fun.
Chalk it all up to experience. You'll never know what you like till you've gone through the mill yourself.
Everybody likes things differently. You might be really happy with your new preamp. I say, go for it.
If you don't like it, try something else...
... and the fun you had finding out, 'priceless'.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Try anything that you can get your hands on. That's what makes it fun.
Chalk it all up to experience. You'll never know what you like till you've gone through the mill yourself.
Everybody likes things differently. You might be really happy with your new preamp. I say, go for it.
If you don't like it, try something else...
... and the fun you had finding out, 'priceless'.
That's been the story of my life, and why I now have multiple listening rooms! Been accumulating stuff since the mid-70s ... some good, some of it has been cannibalized :)

Thanks for sharing, guys !
Al