Comparing battery-powered phono pre-amps, from RS ($$) to ASR ($$$$) ... and beyond!

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
derek92994,

Great effort & super photos documenting your 10-hour thrash on that phono preamp -- feel like I'm looking right over your shoulder despite being halfway around the world!

Reading your post I was reminded of a favorite YouTube video where the Aussies did an impromptu demo of what they can do with an older swing-wing F-111. Starts with some video with a gentle wings-out fly-by -- but at ~30 seconds into the video be sure to turn up the volume and watch closely. (Hint: The anticipatory laughter in the background says it all.)

F-111 low pass Evans Head Range - YouTube screen snap.jpg

Listen, I don't know if it's something in the water, or some shared genetic background, but I for one applaud the enthusiasts in the land of Oz for their all-out approach to the things they care about.

Here's hoping that someday you can break some windows with your own hot-rodded equipment. :0)

Keep up the good work!

3D

Last edited:

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Here's hoping that someday you can break some windows with your own hot-rodded equipment. :0)

Keep up the good work!

3D
I have the amp, just need the speakers, 15 inch ones. Im super happy with the Jamos though. They go loud enough, and the neighbour’s house on one side is maybe 7 feet away. Glad I got acoustic insulation put in the lounge room walls, just need to do the windows next, thats where the majority of sound escapes.

derek92994

Tagline

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Don’t do it!

The noise and distortion levels of tubes make them a poor choice for a phono preamp and the tiny input signals.

But they are popular despite this…

They make more sense in a DAC but I haven’t heard one of those I like either. That could be how it is typically implemented. But the higher signal level and lack of distortion from tracking the record make it a better choice to me. Maybe once I’m making money with audio I’ll dig into that.

derek92994

Tagline
I dont hear no distortion. I cant see a problem with using valves for phono preamps or line level preamps. The valve preamp you see there is taking a line level signal from the two transistor battery phono preamps. I also like the other phono pre that uses valves, the project tubebox ds.
I might hook that line level valve pre up to a battery source after work. Then if I ran it thru the T amp the system would be almost completely battery excluding the turntable, but that could also be changed too.

derek92994

Tagline
Total DC battery powered listening system, with tone controls, it had to be done! Yes it sounds excellent for 15 watts rms. Each component has its own battery

Edit: Turntable is powered by mains but the rest of the audio path is DC powered
37B348F4-4E0A-49E7-A213-B126B2BE5AA8.jpeg 64776747-BA93-43F4-B63C-6933D5BE1E68.jpeg 7CC31268-DE72-4EAB-9743-1B17F415B88A.jpeg 1CECFEEE-0862-450E-8039-94186CC09275.jpeg

Last edited: