Class D Amp

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I haven't tried one yet, I was a bit skeptical about these tiny little switchers, then read that they can indeed drive low ohm loads with plenty of current for my Logans. I'l have to look up what models and makes they were, I was impressed that some were actually said to sound quite nice as well, I'd have to hear for myself tho, seems to me they would sound a little 'hard' in the upper reaches.

I'll have a sniff around the M-L site and see what they're using with a review or two for ya!

Which ones you looking at?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
speakerman1 said:
Mark from Audio Alchemy is sending me one to try. I went on wiki and read some. Are they like the T amps?
Larry
Hmmm, kinda, I call them 'switchers' cuz they switch the voltage on and off to make power when it's needed for output, saves power that would be wasted into heat. I'm interested how Mark 'the tube guy' got into these.......can't wait to talk to him about that!

I'm into the old skool of power on all the time, as in big beefy Class A power room warmers, my Yammie amp has a weird 'Hyperbolic Conversion' amplification circuit which I've never heard explained proporly anywhere. Supposed to be a Class A that runs super cool and switches to A/B on peaks. I know it has really absurd dinky thin alluminum heat sinks inside it.

Class D is the wave of the future according to some designers, there's lots of new work and $$$$'s being spent on upping the ante on these little guys. Any hints on what he's sending you?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I remember the Technics "New Class A" line in the 80s and those were STKs that ran as hot as my SX-D7000, without caps that take two parking spaces. Pioneer was making 'non-switching integrateds of the same relative size with 60-100 wpc ratings and they designed a strip of conventional outputs in a row and set them up so that one or two blowing would halt the destruction of the others.

(Don't ask please)

The SA-1050 didn't run as hot as the 'lesser' Technics SA-310

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/receivers/sa310.htm

Pioneer SA-1050

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
stuwee said:
speakerman1 said:
Mark from Audio Alchemy is sending me one to try. I went on wiki and read some. Are they like the T amps?
Larry
Hmmm, kinda, I call them 'switchers' cuz they switch the voltage on and off to make power when it's needed for output, saves power that would be wasted into heat. I'm interested how Mark 'the tube guy' got into these.......can't wait to talk to him about that!

I'm into the old skool of power on all the time, as in big beefy Class A power room warmers, my Yammie amp has a weird 'Hyperbolic Conversion' amplification circuit which I've never heard explained proporly anywhere. Supposed to be a Class A that runs super cool and switches to A/B on peaks. I know it has really absurd dinky thin alluminum heat sinks inside it.

Class D is the wave of the future according to some designers, there's lots of new work and $$$$'s being spent on upping the ante on these little guys. Any hints on what he's sending you?
Mark that I know of isn't the tube guy. That is John. How do any of us in this crazy world we call audio get messed up with anything. I never in my wildest dreams be thinking of making tapes. LOL

Larry

Larry