Cheap---BUT---VERY effective solder sucker

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
OK Sutton ,. here it is. Got the vacuum pump at a county auction for 10.00 Came out of the old hospital, ratred fpr continuous duty. Pulls 18" of vacuum at 5,000 feet altitude. 5 feet of 1/4 inch gas line, an air nozzle with the ends reversed, and some bottles( old sediment bulbs from old gas motors) to keep the solder out of the pump suction. Has more than enough volume when you trigger it, to suck for a good 3 seconds, continous open trigger vacuum is 5 ".
Components usually fall from the board as you turn it over.

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I want one. I wonder if there is a way to use something like a pool or hot tub moter to do the same thing? For that matter I wonder if a vacuum cleaner could be used by reducing the hose diameter down til you get to the size of one of those nylon tipped aluminum bodied desoldering hobbies? Bet it could be done.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A vacuum cleaner would overheat, they require the suction air moving past the motor to cool it. Get an old cheapo air compressor and hook up the suction to a small volume tank and put your small suction hose on that. You don't need a lot of volume, ya need a lot of vacuum for a couple seconds, after that the solder has solidified anyway.