Carver Silver 7T Pair Mono Block

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Anyone have any experience with these monoblocks? The reviews are all over the place, so I don't know if they are nice, and have potential, or if they sound terrible, and can not be upgraded. I know I already have the finest amp in the world, but just curious if Bob created anything close to the Phase Linear after leaving the company and going on to create other amps. I'd be curious to learn how other folks would rate his other creations....from best to worst... I have seen a lot of Carver Sonic Holography and other amps carrying his name but have never heard any of them...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Carver M1.5T is a great amp, so is a lot of the TFM Carvers. He made a 500T series amp also that kicks ass under the Carver name. Any of the M (T version) series amps I always liked

As for the Silver 7T's, they are solid sate versions of the Silver 7 tube amps and are well worth getting. As for upgrading, I have no clue. I hear a pair of 9T's and was pretty impressed so I am sure the 7T's are just as good just a little less power. Any of the T series designations have a tubelike sonic signature but way more power unless you get into the real Silver 7s

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Thanks for the info......I was just curious. I am fascinated with Bob Carver's work, and never did have a full understanding of why the products he designed AFTER the Phase Linear era are rarely mentioned. It would seem that his designs would improve over time, and not be inferior to the Phase Linear product line.

Of course, without the work that Joe and Don have done, I don't know that we would be here discussing Phase Linear in the first place.

I sure don't need any more amps, but would like to upgrade all the WOPLs I have to the latest PCB (fully comp and dual mono) and back-planes...

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Carver was accused of designing the Silver 7T because nothing could drive a pair of Amazing Loudspeakers. Carver also hooked the 7 and 7T up to the same test set up and measured identical transfer curves proving that the incredible Bob Carver could make a transistor amp behave like a tube amp. What a silly man he was.

Tagline
---
I don't know about the 7T but one of my customers had a pair of Silver 7 Obsession amps built, 900W rms 1800W peak.
They were hand built by Carver himself. He is driving a new pair of Carver ALS 's with them. I have yet to hear them, he lives in Houston and has invited me to stop by sometime when I'm in town to give the system a listen but I've yet to make it down there.

Carver Silver 7 Obsession.JPG

Tagline
---
I knew they were pricey but I never asked what he spent on 'em. I know he waited a long time for them. He had wanted me to do some work on one of them for him, but I was too worried I'd scratch it or worse drop it. According to what Bob told him they need to be sat on their sides to work on them which sounds like another oh $$$hit waiting to happen. I get nervous just thinking about it...

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
So Carver didn't know about a second one that was built? A collectors secret collection? Total agreement on the guy who buys it is gonna need some sort of relief on his hind-quarters...

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I wonder if either Dave or James Sauter is the one selling this or know of who is? They both live near Fort Meyer's and built line source speakers for Bob Carver.

Maybe Kingman knows?

Ed