C-1 or PL2000

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi, I need some insight from the PL2000 users that also know the Carver C-1 as well. I'm working on a PL400 amp for a second system that I'll be powering a pair of CV 313s , 12" 3 ways with. I've always liked the looks, and size of the PL2000 pre-amp, although I haven't owned one, or used one for that matter. I have a friend that has one, he likes his quite a bit, says he won't ever sell it. I have a spare C-1, and/or a C-5 that I can use in this system. I haven't seen a PL2000 for less that $200 shipped lately, and most of the ones out there now are pretty beat up.
If you had either of the Carver pre-amps ready to use, would you even be looking for a PL2000? What are the pros and cons of either pre-amp used with a PL400? Thanks.

Rebel

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong section, can I get an admin to move it into the amp/preamp discussion section?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I build a LOT of C-1's. I don't really care for the PL Preamps but am a big fan of certain Carvers (4000t and C-1 have the best noise numbers when I get done working them). I do all the mods and they respond well. The PL4000 (with the star trek joystick is the biggest POS they made. You about have to solder in the boards to get the noise down and keep them from cutting out. I gave 2 of them to guys I didn't like.... They don't like me now either. Get your C-1 upgraded and you won't look back. They are not pretty, for that you need the 4000t, but I get equally low noise numbers with either. The C-11 is the same as the C-1 only made in black (C-1 was silver or dark).

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks. I'm working on a Silver C-1. I have two Anthracite C-1s, and a black C-5. Do you have any dealings with C-5s, Perry?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have done a couple of C-5's. Not bad unit. Done a couple C-2's also and they surprised me. Not much to em which is cool.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I used the new plates on the back of the C-1 which lets you get rid of those shitty RCA connectors on the back so you can use new quality RCA instead. It's a lot of work but worth it. I have had some units come in where the silver portion of the RCA came off the plastic.... Junk....

jvandyke_texas

New Around These Parts
The Phase Linear 4000 preamp is outstanding for vinyl. The correlator and peak unlimiter both work very well after a few resistor changes in the summing amp. The original flowed connector solder joints once resoldered are reliable. Pots are full sized too. Many have solid aluminum knobs.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Go with your C-1. It has basicly the same circuitry without the bells and whistles of a 4000t. You can’t do much better than what you got.