Bought a new pc, need advice/help for music downloading, ripping etc.

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hello,
I bought a new laptop through my friend who builds custom pcs. I have winamp installed.

1. Whats the best media player for music?
2. What settings should I adjust to get optimal sound quality, I have a lot of cds to rip.
3. Is HD tracks a good place to download music? I also have a Wadia 151 dac that I'll be using for playback.

Cory.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There's a lot of folks here that can help ya Cory.....BD, Derek, Jer, Blaze...a lot!@!

BTW, gonna get your Ser I up and running this weekend , I';m between builds so I'll slip er in...

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
ok thanks lee. Before I start putting music on this pc I want to do it right the first time. I have windows 7 if that helps anyone.

Cory.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That helps a lot and you're very wise to do this, and there are a lot of ways and things to do it with...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
There is a very small and very capable media player that will play almost anything, it's called VLC media player, very handy to have, doesn't take up much room, and like I said, will play almost anything. Google it...

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I use Sound Forge for my audio PC..... It's basically a high end mastering program but has lots of features to do most anything one can dream of with audio.

Depending on what you want to do with the audio getting the interface to work with a laptop will be the hardest part. Likely USB is what you will use, and the success or failure is in the drivers. I have been using a Forcusrite interface but it took some doing to get it all configured and working. Power management stuff on a laptop usually causes big problems.

Good Luck,
Robert

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Hello,
I bought a new laptop through my friend who builds custom pcs. I have winamp installed.

1. Whats the best media player for music?
2. What settings should I adjust to get optimal sound quality, I have a lot of cds to rip.
3. Is HD tracks a good place to download music? I also have a Wadia 151 dac that I'll be using for playback.

Cory.
Hey Cory. That Wadia upsamples like a beast but does so differently depending on input. USB transport is hindered by a 24bit/96kHz rate whereas the digital transports go up to 192kHz.
I'll venture a guess that your laptop doesn't have digital jacks but worth mentioning. The USB rate is adequate for most everything lossless under the sun.

I second Lee's VLC recommendation but want to add this; download a bunch, try em out and stick with a couple you like. No one app ever seems to be the "best" IMHO. And depending on
what else you plan to use your digital music library for, tools like dBpoweramp and TagTuner are great for conversions & organization. dBpoweramp is a true multi-threaded app engine which means it will use (dedicate) a core/thread stream to process a song file 1:1. The more threads, the higher the multiplier and the quicker the job gets done. In other words, parallel processing of multiple songs at the same time. Trip around on the net, download VLC and others and keep the WinAmp for players. Give them all a whirl and find at least two that seem like they meet your needs - then uninstall what you don't need anymore. dBpoweramp comes with a player too but it's nothing to write home about.

"Settings" is a complicated question. You shouldn't have to jack around with hardware settings. Are you asking about rip/encoding settings? Rip to wave file and do yourself a favor, store them on an external USB 3.0 hard drive with lots of space. Then once you have a media app that converts, and you know what you want for your best (preferred) encoding scheme, convert to files for your library without ditching your wave ones. Converting is quick off wave, even for larger libraries. If your personal preference changes over time (on encoding), you have the raw - unadulterated wave files to fall back on for potential redo's. I encode differently and create multiple versions depending on if the songs are going on a phone (space limited), on a USB stick for the car or being played back in my house (highest fidelity encoding).

HDTracks is awesome, no complaints here and haven't encountered much in the way of other people's complaints either. They are a quality outfit. The only real dig is that it can become expensive on a regular basis.

Like RTP I use Sound Forge but use it for remastering and editing stuff. It's a killer program.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I use vlc and foobar as my players. I like foobar better personally.
Foobar is a solid and another good suggestion for Cory - - and it has legs because they've made a push into mobile devices too.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Already have vlc media player
VLC, K-Lite Mega Codec Pack... those are your go-tos. WINAMP was discontinued a few years ago with version 5 I think it was and other players will handle the files it did already so it's obsolete (it no longer whips the llama's ass).

The best part about K-Lite especially is that you can link the codecs to your existing media player...

MAKE SURE YOU ARE FULLY UPDATED! Default is IE8 for Windows 7 and you need to let it update to 11 if it already hasn't been. There are vulnerabilities in IE6-11 that must be patched, 12 is not affected but you cannot use 12 IIRC. It will take a while to update an untouched computer but Windows 7 makes it much easier...do not shut it down during the updates! Web Police or Jerry can help you through it.

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I don't think it has digital outputs. This is what it is.

[TABLE]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Quad-Core Processor @ 2.50 Ghz / 3.10 Ghz Turbo
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MOTHERBOARD AND
SYSTEM HARDWARE
[/TD]
[TD] 15.6" Full HD Display, 1920 x 1080 LED-LCD Screen
Intel HM86 Express Chipset
Integrated 2.0 Mpx Camera
Integrated Microphone
Integrated Touchpad
9-in-1 Card Reader
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery w/ AC Adapter
2x Built In Speakers
2x USB 3.0 Ports
1x USB 2.0 Ports
1x eSATA/USB 3.0 Port
1x VGA Port
1x HDMI Port
1x LAN Port
1x Integrated Wireless / BlueTooth Combo Card
1x System Cooling Fans
2x Metal-Lined Audio Ports(Headphone and Mic Jacks)
2x Integrated Speakers [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MEMORY[/TD]
[TD] Supports Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM
Two 204Pin SODIMM sockets, supports DDR3 1600MHz
Expandable up to 16GB [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]HARD DRIVE[/TD]
[TD] 240GB Crucial M500 Series mSATA Solid State Drive [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]GRAPHICS PROCESSOR[/TD]
[TD] Intel HD 4600 Graphics Processor
1920 x 1080 Full HD 1080p LED-LCD 15.6" Screen [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]OPTICAL DRIVE[/TD]
[TD] Standard DVD±R/RW Combo drive
Optional Blu-ray/DVD±R/RW Combo Drive Upgrade [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE[/TD]
[TD] Windows 7 Home Edition 64-Bit
AVG Internet Security Free Edition
SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.62
Open Office Productivity Suite
Mozilla Firefox
VLC Media Player
Winamp Audio Player
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]STANDARD WARRANTY[/TD]
[TD] 1 Year Comprehensive Hardware Warranty [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]CURRENT PROMO[/TD]
[TD] With the purchase of any standard or upgraded model totaling more than $1,000, receive 1 year of FULL software coverage AND 1 extra year of hardware warranty coverage. The software warranty covers any software issues you have, including operating system or virus issues. There is no limit to how many times you can have your system fixed or reset, and the cost is covered 100% excluding shipping. Hardware is covered for one extra year over your standard or upgraded hardware warranty. Physical damage is not covered. Software not installed on the system by ICONIK PCs is not covered. Hardware warranty is voided by unauthorized tampering with the system. Customer pays for return shipping if necessary, ICONIK PCs pays to ship the unit back to the customer. Expires 4/30/2014 at 11:59 PST. [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't know what you meant by digital outputs...and apparently a company called Radionomy bought Winamp from AOHell...err, AOL.

Not sure what plays Shoutcasts now as K-Lite would open Media Player Classic automatically (unless WMP has priority and it fails to open the .pls file).

The latest version is 5.666

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Cory, bias and offset adjusted right up. It'll be headed back as soon as the cabbage case makse it back from Indiana..