Bipolar transistor grading

ChuckD

New Around These Parts
A very interesting thread that has me contemplating the looming drivers installation on the PL400 that I'm giving the full WOPL treatment to thanks to Joe's FABULOUS kits. Wow, White Oak's products are truly top notch in terms of buildability and quality.

Anyway, so given that I have nice stack of MJ21196G NPN output transistors - enough for two PL400 uber rebuilds and that I'm able to conduct the measurements using the procedure Joe describes in his post from 9 years ago, recording the base-emitter voltage for each, and then I can sort those transistors as Joe also describes.

My dumb question is: how should I physically install well-matched transistors? across from each other in the same row on a channel so that a given pair in a row within a channel are similar (like one of the red lines in the attached picture)? similar values in each row across channels (both of the red lines similar) tempsnip.png ? something else? I recognize that this is a pretty naive question. Consider me an ignoramus in this realm if you will, I'd just like to try to make the 'best' use of these wonderful components I have to work with so that I might end up with the best sounding PL400 in the history of PL400s. :)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Charles

Top to bottom, columns matter. Rows don't

Matching does not matter either. The emitter resistors take care of that.

All my lab mules are built with the mismatched date code leftovers from the large lots of transistors that I purchase.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Also be careful
the bottom row are mounted 180* from the three upper rows. You will bemd the legs if you do not get it right

ChuckD

New Around These Parts
Thank you! I'm glad I asked and appreciate the additional heads up about orientation.

"Nothing is less productive than doing well that which doesn't need doing at all." - anonymous wise man

Last edited: