AVR dont use one for 2 channel music

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Ok this is my situation, and what I found out. I love the remote volume control on my AVR it has digital inputs has a elaborate crossover menu. Cool to play with I suppose, I guess..... but in FACT it detracts from the music enjoyment. On this AVR that I have I can change the crossover points to the speakers 40 60 80 100 120 you get what I'm saying well also you are suppose to be able to defeat the crossover all together. Well ok that's cool too.... But unfortunately it does not defeat anything the mains are still cut off at a certain preset freq. What it is I have no idea. How have I determined this and it is very audible? Buy switching out the AVR for a straight preamp. Now having separate subs is nice with a AVR, but when you have full range mains there is no need to have them... I know you all know this, but I was always using this AVR and could not for the life of me figure out where in the heck the bass was.
What brought this to my attention you might ask well when I had the KG2's in the bedroom they sounded awesome on a real 2 channel rig. Move them over to the MC and they were lifeless no bass crap mids. You get the picture.
Anyway just my rant and I figure it out. Oh even the Polks that I modded sound very nice as well I still like the Klipsh though there killer.
Sorry you Polk fans out there but for shear volume the Klipsh beats the Polks hands down.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Too much programming on the pre makes for a lousy drinking session....

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
Ok this is my situation, and what I found out. I love the remote volume control on my AVR it has digital inputs has a elaborate crossover menu. Cool to play with I suppose, I guess..... but in FACT it detracts from the music enjoyment. On this AVR that I have I can change the crossover points to the speakers 40 60 80 100 120 you get what I'm saying well also you are suppose to be able to defeat the crossover all together. Well ok that's cool too.... But unfortunately it does not defeat anything the mains are still cut off at a certain preset freq. What it is I have no idea. How have I determined this and it is very audible? Buy switching out the AVR for a straight preamp. Now having separate subs is nice with a AVR, but when you have full range mains there is no need to have them... I know you all know this, but I was always using this AVR and could not for the life of me figure out where in the heck the bass was.
What brought this to my attention you might ask well when I had the KG2's in the bedroom they sounded awesome on a real 2 channel rig. Move them over to the MC and they were lifeless no bass crap mids. You get the picture.
Anyway just my rant and I figure it out. Oh even the Polks that I modded sound very nice as well I still like the Klipsh though there killer.
Sorry you Polk fans out there but for shear volume the Klipsh beats the Polks hands down.
Im using Polk monitor 5's right now and I want something diff quick lol. I'm not impressed personally !!!

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Im using Polk monitor 5's right now and I want something diff quick lol. I'm not impressed personally !!!
I also have the 5A and for what it is I am impressed with how it sounds. I wont throw the Polks out, but I would rather have Horns
May I suggest you get some KG4's You wont be disappointed.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Too much programming on the pre makes for a lousy drinking session....
I agree, but my laziness have to have a remote attitude screwed me:angry2:
My only redemption is that I do have a Adcom GTP 500II that has a motorized volume control, but I don't have the remote yet.
Notice I said yet:mrgreen:

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
100 Watts Nominal my Carver 1.0T that is 350 watts a side powers them nicely.
Im using the WOPL 1000. So power is not a issue. These polks are way to small ... They don't like the amp and neither does my kirksaeters lol. I just got to wait out my voice coil repair lol. Then get a pair of 15's upgraded or go the k route lol

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That one Monitor 4 I have with an MW 6510 is a killa, I told ya...that's why I wanted TWO.