Anyone here have a (working) tube tester?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I'm thinking of grabbing a lot of Russian "6N1P" tubes- like 50 of them- to keep my Counterpoint amps fed.

I was actually looking for a solid state replacement for the tube, but I'm not finding one for the 6DJ8/E88CC/6922 tube

I have matched (when they were new) Sovtek tubes in there now. I was a dealer, and they were the ones suggested by Mike Elliot anyway...

Since I use five per amp (for for voltage gain and one for signal invert), I thought I'd get ten, or at least eight, that are well matched to one another. But I don't have a tube tester. Figured I'd ask if someone with a good tester and some free time would be interested in testing tubes for beer money...

I may just ditch the whole idea (it ain't broke so don't fix it), but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
On the topic of tubes:

The rectum-frier is also a tube, well, one is, and it is a 6CA4. I'm sure there is a solid state replacement for that rectifier... Question is: would I be providing any benefit by going to a solid state rectifier over the tube?

We used to properly set up the reissue Bassman amps and we would pull the tube rectifier and put a tube rectifier in, but that is a completely different situation- distortions and harmonics are desired in the old (style) Fender tube amps. Of course, they were still super-clean sounding when we finished with them, because the tubes were matched and bias was ideal etc.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
6n1p is a little different from 6dj8, mostly the amount of current the filament draws. And you outta just be able to poke diodes in where the 6ca4 goes lol

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Yeah, I was contemplating one of those tube adapters and instead of a tube on top, diodes... Not sure how that would work with the rest of the circuit.