Anybody familiar with Sunfire equipment?

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
A friend on a guitar board I belong to said he has a 1st generation Sunfire 300 x 2 amp with the single meter and a Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube preamp in his closet. Hopefully we can work a trade deal for the stuff but he said the preamp needs work in one channel, might be something easy. The amp has Bob Carver's signature on it? I have heard this stuff was really killer but I have no personal experience with them. He said the preamp does not have a phono stage though

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
You should join the VHF of Pittsburgh forum and ask you question there. Many of the members are Carver nuts and will know. Tom, the VHF owner is a personal friend of Bob Carver.

http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/
Vintage HiFi is in cahoots with Frank Hawk who stole my preamp. I don't have a very good opinion of the company since they allow him to use their equipment to fix stuff. I talked to Steve there about help getting my preamp back and initially he was helpful (since Frank claimed to be affiliated with VHF) but later when the heat was turned up on Frank, he disappeared and seemed to care less about the perdicament or the fact that Frank was making the company look bad

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
A friend on a guitar board I belong to said he has a 1st generation Sunfire 300 x 2 amp with the single meter and a Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube preamp in his closet. Hopefully we can work a trade deal for the stuff but he said the preamp needs work in one channel, might be something easy. The amp has Bob Carver's signature on it? I have heard this stuff was really killer but I have no personal experience with them. He said the preamp does not have a phono stage though
I have a sunfire powered sub. It kicks ass! Not using anymore because I have a WOPL and 939. But it is 1000w 12in non vented. And it gets down to 10hz it goes low. I have a buddy in Idaho that swears by sunfire. Another carver deal...

Northwinds

Tagline
I guess he wants to send the amp to Sunfire to be benchchecked and make sure everything is up to spec, that's cool. They send you new boxes to have it shipped to them

I am going to see if I can get the Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp shipped to me this week or next if we can hammer a trade deal out quick enough. Might let Joe play with it for awhile and I bet he would have fun looking it over (if he is willing that is)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Joe is pretty busy on a couple projects. He could coach Jersey through it though. Don't want to stop progress on the chassis.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
After you get this pre all hashed out and working and in your system. I really want to give this a test drive if you don't mind Ron . That modwright I'm always taking about was a tubed pre running through a ss Cary amp and the warmth of the pre running through the ss amp was amazing!