Any Recommendations for a BLDC motor?

rankar

New Around These Parts
hi guys, I've been testing out a few motors and really like Anaheim Automation's BLDC series motors. The speed control is amazingly accurate. However, it's not silent.

do any of you know of any BLDC motors or other DC motor companies I can research that are silent or known to be silent (i'll take very quiet since i can put it in a dampened enclosure)???

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Much of the "noise" from a BLDC type motor is caused by the driver system. The high frequency oscillations to create the rotating field resonated in the stator coils and in the rotor, of which most would make a great bell prior to adding the magnets. Many controllers/drivers even use that characteristic to communicate the condition and settings, sounding beeps. Look for potted stator and damped rotor or maybe more importantly a driver that you can vary the base frequency to minimize resonance.

rankar

New Around These Parts
thanks so much for this. BLDCs are just a different animal, so let me try tweaking the controller and see if I can get anywhere in controlling the resonance. the Anaheim motor does use hall effect sensors to communicate condition/position so I have that going for me...

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Here is a white paper on your topic. A lot of engineering jargon but it boils down to the space vector (SV) control scheme reduces acoustical noise compared to constant voltage (CV) or variable voltage (VV) schemes. PWM frequency also play a large part in it as well.

Attachments

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
At work we used Infineon BLDC modules to drive an air conditioner inverter compressor.
Highly tuneable but it was very complicated to make it running and close to zero help from the manufacturer.