ALPS balance pot in PL3300 Series II

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Hoping for advice about a PL 3300 Series II balance pot. Lee, you're familiar with this particular unit.

Yesterday I noticed the right channel cutting out but if I turned up the volume it came back but then cut out again. I noticed that tapping the balance control knob would bring the channel back. Could be barking up the wrong tree, but I think the balance pot might be the culprit. I took it off the board if for no other reason than to get at the best place to shoot De-oxit inside which is the underside and I saw that it is an ALPS pruduct. Without using De-Oxit (yet) I checked it with an analog meter and it seems to be OK so I'm really not sure if my suspicion is correct.

Since it is off the board (removed carefully, without destroying any pads/traces), would getting a replacement pot be recommended to eliminate the possibility of a recurring problem?

I am going to hit the somewhat local parts stores in the morning although what I get will likely be a generic from China - if I find one at all. I could also shoot a bunch of De-Oxit inside this one, re-install it and hope for the best but if I had to take it off again, I am worried about damaging the pads and traces.

Another option, since it's unlikely I can find an ALPS pot locally, I can order one from Mouser for $15.17 + shipping. They have 9 in stock of what I believe is a correct replacement - Mouser #688-RK16312A0BKH. Without the 688 prefix, it is ALPS part number.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Gary, they are really hard to De-Oxit right. I'd get a new on now that you have it apart. And he fact that it's available is a big bonus, I would jump on it!!

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Make sure the wires or solder joints on it aren't cracked. I know zip about this unit but a broken connection will do the same thing as a flaky pot. If it tests OK out of circuit I'd be inclined to look for bad connections on the board.

62vauxhall

Tagline
The connections of the balance pot to the board looked perfectly fine when I unsoldered them and like they had not been touched since leaving the factory. It seemed that Lee overlaid some of its traces near to where they connect to the volume pot but they appear very carefully done.

I could not find a substitute balance pot locally so I did order one from Mouser. I chose the cheapest shipping method, UPS and am having it sent to my Canadian address rather than taking the drive to Sumas, WA to pick it up. Hope it's days and/or weeks not weeks and/or months.

I compared the replacement's data sheet dimensions to the original and they look identical but I did not notice anything stating whether the original or the new one coming from Mouser was linear or logarithmic.

Recently I sold a NAD 1020 pre amp but when I got it, the bass control was non functional. The pot was at fault and it too was made by ALPS so even though they're supposed to be superior, they can fail.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Balance pots are usually linear. It will matter considerably. If you put a log pot where a linear goes, you'll be "centered" about 90% of the way over rather than in the middle. On a 100k linear pot, middle is 50k end to end. On a log pot, its more like 10k to one end and 90k to the other end.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Yes, I read that linear is what would be used as a balance control. But I am puzzled why I am not seeing the words Linear or Logarithmic in ALPS's own item description. There is a Resistance Taper value of 3B - does that identify it as one or the other? This photo is of the replacement ALPS I have on order - RK16312A0BKH.

[TABLE="class: specs, width: 676"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"][TABLE="width: 0"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Manufacturer:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]ALPS[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl00_4294759270" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl00$4294759270" checked="checked" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 0"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Product Category:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Potentiometers[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl01_16330849" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl01$16330849" checked="checked" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]RoHS:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]
Details[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Brand:[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Resistance:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]50 kOhms[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl04_4292475990" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl04$4292475990" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Power Rating:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]50 mW[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl05_4294616395" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl05$4294616395" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Tolerance:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]20 %[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl06_4294646057" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl06$4294646057" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Termination Style:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Pin[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl07_4294738110" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl07$4294738110" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Mounting Style:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Through Hole[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl08_4294739373" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl08$4294739373" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Shaft Type:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Flat[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl09_4292503426" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl09$4292503426" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Shaft Length:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]25 mm[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl10_4292988178" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl10$4292988178" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Operating Temperature Range:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]- 10 C to + 70 C[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Packaging:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Tray[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Product:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Dual Potentiometer[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Series:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]RK163[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

fitz43

Yes, I read that linear is what would be used as a balance control. But I am puzzled why I am not seeing the words Linear or Logarithmic in ALPS's own item description. There is a Resistance Taper value of 3B - does that identify it as one or the other? This photo is of the replacement ALPS I have on order - RK16312A0BKH.

[TABLE="class: specs, width: 676"]
<tbody>[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Manufacturer:[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl00_4294759270" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl00$4294759270" checked="checked" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Product Category:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Potentiometers[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl01_16330849" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl01$16330849" checked="checked" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]RoHS:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]
Details[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Brand:[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Resistance:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]50 kOhms[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl04_4292475990" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl04$4292475990" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Power Rating:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]50 mW[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl05_4294616395" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl05$4294616395" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Tolerance:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]20 %[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl06_4294646057" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl06$4294646057" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Termination Style:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Pin[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl07_4294738110" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl07$4294738110" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Mounting Style:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Through Hole[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl08_4294739373" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl08$4294739373" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Shaft Type:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Flat[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl09_4292503426" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl09$4292503426" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Shaft Length:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]25 mm[/TD]
[TD="class: find-similar, align: center"]<input id="ctl00_ContentMain_Specifications_dlspec_ctl10_4292988178" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentMain$Specifications$dlspec$ctl10$4292988178" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Operating Temperature Range:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]- 10 C to + 70 C[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Packaging:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Tray[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Product:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]Dual Potentiometer[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: leftcol"]Series:[/TD]
[TD="class: ProductDetailData"]RK163[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
see here at the bottom:

http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTM...tentiometers/RK16/RK16_common.html#Resistance Taper

I don't know what the "3" of 3B stands for but it looks like the taper B is linear. CTRL+SHIFT+"+"