45 years ago, today...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
July 1, 1979: Sony debuts the "Walkman." The concept of a personal cassette player was developed by company President Masaru Ibuka, who dragged a large, five-pound cassette player (Sony D5M) along on his frequent business trips so he could enjoy operas during endless flights across the Pacific.

1719847221027.png

I scored and then sold a boxed TPSL2 a while back and made a tidy profit. I had to swap in a new motor as the original had seized.
After I got it working I played some tapes on it and thought the pb quality sucked donkeyballs. Big stinky, sweaty donkeyballs, lol.

Strange to think that Ibuka san chipped in the SQ of that D5M for the portability but crap SQ of this thing. Well, seems strange today obvs as the D5M is way superior in SQ. One sits on my workbench as a daily driver. It actually comes with me in the car sometimes too!

IMG_20191123_184939_1.jpg

IMG_20240325_234419_1.jpg

Last edited:

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I had a wm-3, don't remember the sound quality being that bad, the w&f though.......

I've always wanted a d5m, I might thin out my collection and pick up a fixer upper.....

Oh are we all gonna start swingin' our Walkman dicks now? lol
Well ok then....

DC2, D3, TCD5M (does it count? Don't care)
IMG_20190921_170702_2.jpg

EX1-HG. One NOS, one well-used
IMG_20191123_120301_1.jpg

D6. Very 'Ofessional' indeed :D
IMG_20220502_162345_1.jpg

D6C. Minty McMinterface
IMG_20191126_122657_1.jpg

External amps are the way to go
IMG_20240505_150229_1_1.jpg

D3. Used for smexy but grainy ad shots of my Coffee Cranium cable
04_1.jpg

Similar treatment for the DD9 and my Curious Cranium cable
01_2.jpg

Fade to grey
IMG_20200406_172620.jpg

Gardening club
IMG_20190629_195014-1.jpg

Last edited:
Always passionate about portable analog devices that pack technology into such a small case.

My treasured Sony WM-504:

And a cell phone video:

Nando.
Is that glass case alarmed and electrified Nando? Coaxially aligned lazers and machine guns? Automatic thief shutters around the perimeter of the house?
:D

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
July 1, 1979: Sony debuts the "Walkman." The concept of a personal cassette player was developed by company President Masaru Ibuka, who dragged a large, five-pound cassette player (Sony D5M) along on his frequent business trips so he could enjoy operas during endless flights across the Pacific.

View attachment 82219
The old man bought one of these while he was on a Med Cruise / Nimitz back in 81 or so (same cruise where they put Libya in it's place, back then). Gave it to me when he rotated to shore duty. That was back when we could damage ears with the volume it put out. It sounded great, good for mowing grass to Iron Maiden LOL..

Miracle Mile

Oh are we all gonna start swingin' our Walkman dicks now? lol
Well ok then....
For me it is a nope.

I understand your fetish for outdated equipment, but audiotechnology went on over the last four decades.

I've done a lot with tapes, especially cassettes, won prices with my mixtapes, but it still is an infererior format.

No expensive cable, pair of cans or mint condition Walkman will fix that.

Nevertheless: I like the fun you have with all of this stuff. :thumbup:

Last edited:
For me it is a nope.

I understand your fetish for outdated equipment, but audiotechnology went on over the last four decades.

I've done a lot with tapes, especially cassettes, won prices with my mixtapes, but it still is an infererior format.

No expensive cable, pair of cans or mint condition Walkman will fix that.

Nevertheless: I like the fun you have with all of this stuff. :thumbup:
I think you're missing the point entirely.
For myself, and quite possibly many/all others who are into tape find it irrelevant that it's an 'inferior' format. Of course it's inferior when compared to the digital domain. It's obvious and an absolute given.
However, the nostalgia, tactility and an appreciation for the mechanical design and technological aspects of tape decks/walkmans as well as the ability to influence a recording are an integral part of the enjoyment. The caveats in the playback sound quality or recording process are also an intrinsic part of the enjoyment and as such are totally redundant aspects if compared with superior formats.
I can't honestly recall reading or hearing any discussions or arguments about whether tape was inferior in any case.

Miracle Mile

I think you're missing the point entirely.
For myself, and quite possibly many/all others who are into tape find it irrelevant that it's an 'inferior' format. Of course it's inferior when compared to the digital domain. It's obvious and an absolute given.
However, the nostalgia, tactility and an appreciation for the mechanical design and technological aspects of tape decks/walkmans as well as the ability to influence a recording are an integral part of the enjoyment. The caveats in the playback sound quality or recording process are also an intrinsic part of the enjoyment and as such are totally redundant aspects if compared with superior formats.
I can't honestly recall reading or hearing any discussions or arguments about whether tape was inferior in any case.
That's exactly what I meant in my last sentence of my post, but in fewer words Chris:

'Nevertheless: I like the fun you have with all of this stuff.' :thumbup:

So, I didn't miss the point, and it wasn't meant offensive.