4485 Silvertone

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Web Police said:
Stuwee, does that bad boy put out 100 WPC? Is there a Sub woofer under that cabinet? :cyclops:

The amp will rattle the tubes into microphonics with a good 12" (take out any adapter ring and it slips in) if it's anything like mine. A lot of them used some stout tube typss that made for a powerful, strong audio signal.

Stewart-Warner, Colonial Radio and one or two others including Arvin later on built these chassis and they are no clouch just because they are SEARS sets. Catalog sales made up a huge part of both Sears and Wards' radio sales and they came from people who may not have seen a store plus it was a very hot market. Even at a Sears price they had to be good and their reputation for all other products was at stake. If you've ever seen old 12" + field coil speaker setups they are a sight to behold.

This is another shining example of cabinetry from abound 1937, This style came in and was gone within that year. This set of complex geometric blending is unlike styles before or since. It is a kind of beauty that stands out and grabs you in ways no other cabinets could. Zeniths tend to accent the horizontal while these Silvertones emphasize the vertical elements, like a clock tower or skyscraper.

Thank you for the wonderful picture, Stuwee!

orange

Tagline
stuwee said:
1930's mono AM with toobs and a big honk'n woofer!

And Web what a most excellent :sign7: , and turn that dial into an output meter :twisted: swing for Daddy!
The 6U5 magic eye, along with the existing lamp for the gold dial are far more glorious than an output meter. This tube does not have the response speed for that.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
orange said:
stuwee said:

And Web what a most excellent :sign7: , and turn that dial into an output meter :twisted: swing for Daddy!
The 6U5 magic eye, along with the existing lamp for the gold dial are far more glorious than an output meter. This tube does not have the response speed for that.
Yeah I was just funnin', I'd never, ever muck up a beauty like that!

I have an magic eye tube in the base of the Pilot console, still glows bright red, just like it did when I was 3.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Have some "Magic Eyes" in some old cap checkers, an eico 950, circa 1955. Cool stuff.

orange

Tagline
Most of those are smaller tubes but a lot more commen than 6ME5/6EM5, a miniature tube found in Asian products in the late 50s, They were not produced in large amounts nor for long but were used in assembly for some time after that (maybe to 1960).

One of these is common as dirt, VT-1629?

The main two "standard" magic eyes of the 1930s were 6U5 and 6E5. They were kind of the start of it all.

orange

Tagline
stuwee said:
Not just AM (standard broadcast bamd-BCB to 1500 KC) but also police band to 1800 KC and some shortwave ("foreign") likely to somewhere between 16-18 MC.

FM was an experimental service in 1937, mostly former Apex service stations in the 20-26 MC band and the pioneering stations such as the Armstrong led "Yankee Network". At the end of the 30s sets with a standardized FM band in the 40-50 MC band began to emerge...these sets would have to be modified or replaced directly after the war when the FCC moved them into their modern band. at first 88-106 then expanded shortly after that to 88-108 MC with the current 88-92 noncommercial band.

Armstrong was livid about this but obviously it made sense as it was conveniently between channel 6 and 7 (already an enpty spot then), out of a tough area in LOW VHF where the original channels 1 and 2 had a hard time from skip/interference and taxi radios among others and even at 54-60 MC channel 2 took savage periodic hits.

So relocation seems bad, however what was worse and almost killed FM involved the circular motions of many stations simulcasting just to be there in case AM took a dive. Original programming was not sustainable without set sales. Set sales would not materialize quickly for the price and perceived notion that all they wanted was on AM and FM was a poor stepclild. Postwar AM was driven by MUSIC and advertisers flocked to the hot stations. Nobody would buy FM and listen so advertisers would not buy FM time.

The remaining option was to simulcast and combine spot times for a dual station rate card. This killed off FM listening when the audiences would become discouraged that any original content was not happening, thus coming full circle.

That is not to say that no unique FM services existed. Like UHF, the operations became weighed down in losses and support and stations were dying left and right. The FCC saw this conundrum and acted to try and increase FM success. Unlike TV however, beyond the non-commercial allocations and some shuffling of allocated frequencies in the 1950s within the existing 88-108 MC band no requirements were made regarding which bands were used for which city allocations. Simulcasting was banned outside of small markets or severely limited though.

AM simply bareled down the road. It had the sponsors, the popular formats and personality announcers, also called disc jockeys. Many serious attempts to introduce stereophonic AM were proposed in the 50s, some very close to those that emerged in the early 80s but the FCC held them off. They had FM stereo of some type in mind.

FM alone did not save itself. The MPX system launched in 1961 didn't do it either. The establishment of quality formats that used both and brought listeners and advertisers alike to the station did.

In my market this was not easy. The first two stations in Idaho were born in 1946 and quietly died before 1957. When FM began to catch on there were still only two stations here from 1961 until 1967. By 1973, only FOUR. Not until 1975 would new stations begin airing to the point of over 20 with out of town stations slingshotting into the market and moving in (something that is not very possible now since the FCC has passed rules to discourage moving stations out of town or crowding boosters in (slingshotting).

AM hasn't died out here either, We've lost but one station in 84 years and it was the only new allocation since the 1960s, not a reassigned frequency. You don't lose a station here, it's like rescuing a maiden.

You didn't see Wikipedia coming I'll bet.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Steve, thank you for that post, most of it i was not aware of, hell radios always been there, turn it on and there it is.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
stuwee said:

I'd say mount some X-amps inside that mutha and put some mini ML's behind the grills and let her rip. :cheers: