400 DC caps

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Over the weekend I dusted off a stock 400 that had been sitting on a shelf with the intent of repairing it. I suspected issues with the front end in the right channel. I pulled Q1-Q4 and checked them on a curve tracer. They looked ok. I changed them out anyhow. Normally I don't go for the shotgun approach but I made an exception here.

Next was the 2 power supply caps. The originals were GE and to my surprise they were 7300uf/75 volt. Not the usual 5900uf. Date code is 7420 (20th week, 1974). They were slightly misapplied given the DC voltage runs at 80 volts and these are only rated for 75 volts.

For the heck of it I checked the ripple voltage on them with both channels operating at 40 volts output into 8 ohms. On a good cap the ripple should be less than 1 volt when measured with a true RMS meter. One was .9 volts and the other was about 1.1 volts. These caps are almost 50 years old and still functioning. I went ahead and put in the usual 12,000uf with Joe's boards.

Today I checked the old caps with a $20 transistor tester. Here is the link (no I have no affiliation). EBAY transistor tester I find myself using this thing more and more to match transistor gains and verify device types. It also does capacitors . So first I discharged the GE 7300's and then tested them. One was 7200uf and the other was 6800uf. ESR was in the neighborhood of .15 ohms. Did I mention they're almost 50 years old?

I also checked some 15,000uf/100v caps that I just got from Mouser. They tested 13,700uf with ESR of .09 ohms. The spec is +/-20% on capacitance and ESR of .22 ohms so they meet spec.

Several years ago electrolytics were always on the high side of the spec. Today, manufacturers are more consistent and you don't get anything for free.

Attachments

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Wow! That transistor tester is COOL! Plug anything in, and it gives you the schematic and values (assuming it's good)? That's friggin AWESOME!

I didn't see the capacitance test function, but that is something I'm looking for currently. If this does that as well, and costs less than the capacitance meter alone, it seems like a done deal.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Don, I have a pair of those GE 75V caps that I took out of one of the PL400s I purchased along the way.

Moral of the story, they don't build them like they used to. Modern 75V caps would have spewed their innards long ago in that application.

Ripple was awful on that cap set however when running the amp, no high frequency capability left in them at all.