PL700 Rebuild

Overundr1

New Around These Parts
The new to me PL700 arrived safely today. Yes I know its the first generation and a little more effort to rebuild however those early 70's VU meters get me every time.
1729111285483.png

Peeking at the back I note that almost all the transistors are original xpl909's with hand written hfe values along with one rca 2n3773. The pnp drivers are half motorola 7439 and half 7311's. Need to pull them all and test before even thinking of applying power to establish a baseline to work from. Also need to find one transistor cover or figure out a way to protect myself from an inadvertent high voltage mishap.

1729111569119.png
1729111588705.png

This amp must have been n a band PA system, there are 1/4" output jacks mounted to the right side along with the standard rear panel stuff. They are there, poor camera operator at the controls :)

1729111679493.png

Not too much rust, dents or dings, here is the serial number and transformer.

1729111727066.png

Will be a week or two before I get started, need to clear the bench of a couple of client repairs first :)

At the minimum without even applying power believe I will need the WOPL control board, main caps, outputs, snubber and speaker relay. Many thanks to Joe at WOPL for the reply to my email and the suggested upgrade path. This forum rocks.

Since I am the 700 newbie in the room feel free to fire away with comments, suggestions and any other cool off topic thoughts to help the thread along :)

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Past build threads are a treasure trove of information. And if you go back far enough, ypu can see the evolution of White Oak and one man's idea of customer service and building the best product he can ....and then making it better.....and better....and better...

Overundr1

New Around These Parts
Ugh, what a rats nest to unwind.
Main caps esr values both less than 4000uf and esr values close to 5ohms, toasted.
1729180468352.png

They drilled out the side panel for dual 1/4" speaker jacks, wires everywhere.

1729180524081.png

Control board looks ok at first blush other than rusted adjustment pots. At this point recognise the need for the WOPL Control board.

1729180596715.png

Also worth mentioning is the volume pots even after cleaning have several dead spots and need to be replaced (need to source those)

Unit arrived with a Watts Abundant bare relay board, will order the parts/rca jacks/binding posts along with the other goodies and start there once I get a Clients amp repaired. Also need to order a bunch of different nuts/bolts/sheet metal screws to replace all the rusty ones.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Also need to order a bunch of different nuts/bolts/sheet metal screws to replace all the rusty ones.
Post a list of what you need, members here likely have them. You may not find exact replacements are available commercially.

Your PL700 was assembled in November, 1972 and was the 25th unit assembled that month. The production of the PL700 began in February, 1971.

Overundr1

New Around These Parts
Figures I would miss that detail when I placed my Mouser order. Anyways have an email in to WOPL for Joe to check and respond with any additions before I order the goodies from him :)

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Figures I would miss that detail when I placed my Mouser order. Anyways have an email in to WOPL for Joe to check and respond with any additions before I order the goodies from him :)
Joe is a busy guy. He is the designer/engineer of the circuit boards and kits and he builds and sends the orders for the boards and component kits himself. Try to limit your requests for merchandise that can be found on his eStore website. All your technical answers and most parts can be found here, usually for free.