Interesting piece of PL history

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
I like the story Bob tells about the amplifier contest run by a radio station back in the day. I believe he brought in his "first" big power amp back then.. But due to his limited funds all the guts were housed in an old coffee can......
If I remember the story correctly it was directed coupled to the studios mains and blew out thier fuses before it made ot to its max output.... Go Bob go !

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I like the story Bob tells about the amplifier contest run by a radio station back in the day. I believe he brought in his "first" big power amp back then.. But due to his limited funds all the guts were housed in an old coffee can......
If I remember the story correctly it was directed coupled to the studios mains and blew out thier fuses before it made ot to its max output.... Go Bob go !
And his uncle was eaten by cannibals :)

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
If I heard right, the guy said they modified a Phase Linear.
Only photos of so called 'Pink Floyd" amps I've seen were the stack of Dual 500's that guy in England has in his shed.
I'll try to find the thread.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I had to go all the way back to 2012 here on Phoenix and there is some really good reads on it. I guess they took 2 700's minus the transformers and put them in one chassis they designed. We have WAY better technology (WOPL's), than they had and it was quite the hassle doing all the mods to get them to work. And they were still stuck with shitty Output transistors. Lee and some of the Old Timers were discussing it in length.

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/phase-linear-and-pink-floyd.3293/