Would a 400 or 700 be a better match for my speakers?

ChrisAZ

New Around These Parts
I wasn’t sure the best place to post this so please redirect me if need be.

I’m new to Phase Linear amps but am interested in going down the WOPL rabbit hole. I’m wondering between WOPLed pl400 or 700 which would be the better match for my ADS L910-2 4ohm speakers. Specs are as follows. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Specifications
Type: 3 way, 4 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 28Hz to 20kHz
Power Handling: 150W
Recommended Amplifier: 15 to 300W
Crossover Frequency: 500, 4000Hz
Impedance: 4Ω
Sensitivity: 93dB
Bass: 2 x 10" cone
Midrange: 1 x 2" dome
Tweeter: 1 x 1" soft dome
Grille: black cloth
Finish: walnut veneer
Dimensions: 850 x 480 x 390mm
Weight: 45.5kg

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I’m running a WOPL 700 Series Two with ADS L1290 (8Ω). Love it, but my WOPL 400 Series Two was entirely adequate.

Either way is fine, both amps are tireless, absolutely no listening fatigue.

4Ω speakers are safe with either, if that’s what you mean to ask.

MarkWComer

Tagline
I should add:

Audio is a progressive hobby- get something bigger than what you think you need to allow for expansion!
If you have “the bug” like most of us here, it’s always a quest for bigger and better…

ChrisAZ

New Around These Parts
Thank you for the responses. I’m no expert on this and wasn’t sure if the 700 would be a danger to my speakers.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
A 30 watt amplifier can damage speakers just as bad as a 700W. The under powered amplifier becomes distorted at high volumes and dumps high frequency, high power signals in the speakers, and can damage high frequency drivers such as expensive tweeters

MarkWComer

Tagline
A 30 watt amplifier can damage speakers just as bad as a 700W. The under powered amplifier becomes distorted at high volumes and dumps high frequency, high power signals in the speakers, and can damage high frequency drivers such as expensive tweeters
Clipping burns tweeters!

MB1953

Journeyman
Greetings ChrisAZ!

Depends on the size of the listening room, and how loud you listen.

At 93db and recommended Amplifier power for your speakers of 15 to 300W, the Phase 400 would be more than adequate in a small to medium sized room.

Larger rooms at high levels, you would be better off with higher efficiency speakers.

MB

ChrisAZ

New Around These Parts
The room with the ADS system is 19’ 3” x 21’ 3” with 8’ ceilings. The stereo system is on the 19’ 3” wall. I may add multiple subs, we’ll see. Right now I’m using a completely rebuilt Sansui AU9500 and the volume knob usually doesn’t get past 2. I’m really in love with these speakers and have always read that to hear their full potential you need clean, high power amps. Hence my interest in WOPL’d Phase Linear or….?

I’m also setting up a larger format, high efficiency horn system in our large open concept living room/ kitchen, dining room. I’ve been collecting a small arsenal of vintage Altec and some TAD speaker components to put together soon. This system will be tube driven to start. I like vintage stuff for the aesthetic but I’m not a purist by any means.

ChrisAZ

New Around These Parts
Greetings ChrisAZ!

Depends on the size of the listening room, and how loud you listen.

At 93db and recommended Amplifier power for your speakers of 15 to 300W, the Phase 400 would be more than adequate in a small to medium sized room.

Larger rooms at high levels, you would be better off with higher efficiency speakers.

MB
I had to look up what small, medium and large rooms are in audio terms.

Room Dimensional Volume
Small Room< 1,500 ft3
Medium Room1,500 ft3 - 3,000 ft3
Large Room3,000 ft3 - 5,000 ft3
Extreme Room> 5,000 ft3

My room is 3192 square feet which is apparently med/large.